Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
870-224
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Omen, 870-224. The gpu burnt out so I just put a new Asus gtx 1060 in abut a month ago. Been running perfectly.  This weekend I have been gaming moderately, and this morning my PC now gets stuck at the HP Omen boot screen (black screen, with the red Omen logo). I cannot use f11, or any other key, to boot in safe mode or start the partitioned recovery process. I performed a hard reset, and nothing. Seems my machine is bricked, and this is very frustrating.

I should at least be able to troubleshoot my own machine. HP charges you for phone support, which is absolutely ridiculous. I already gave you my money for the machine, and now you want more because it isn't working properly. That's so crooked and backwards. Everytime I have an issue with an HP, it is near impossible to fix. I don't think I'll ever buy an HP again with this reliability and lack of support. But for now, I'm stuck with this machine, a small budget, and no other options. Please let me know if you have seen this before, or have any suggestions. Anything is better than the zero help I have received from HP.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@BaronPresto , welcome to the forum.

It is not best to begin a request for help with a bunch of negative statements towards HP.  Believe me, I understand your frustration with a computer that doesn't run properly.  This is why I have been helping on the Forums to solve problems.  Your computer is almost three years old.  HP does provide support for up to one year or more with an Extended Service Agreement.  Of course, they provide these Forums to help after the warranty period.  With that out of the way, let's see if we can solve your problem.

The first thing that I would like you to try is, remove your GTX 1060 and connect to the Integrated Video.  Integrated Video won't work with a video card installed.  If this works, it will eliminate other components.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Haha, good one.

I booted using the integrated video like you asked, and fortunately the machine started up. Do you know what I can do to fix this issue? There must be some software change I can make to prevent this from happening.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @BaronPresto!

This makes me believe that the GTX 1060 may have a problem.  Once it was removed the computer booted.  Therefore, I doubt that it is a software problem.  I suggest that you contact the video card manufacturer's Tech Support to see if they can help you troubleshoot the problem.  If it is newer it may be under warranty.  They will replace it at no additional charge to you.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

It's a 1060, but same difference. It's working now that it had a chance to reset. It's definitely the HP Omen software being troublesome. This is common from what I've seen all over forums after Googling. Hopefully it doesn't keep locking itself up. I'm backing everything up while I can and planning for more future failures. Not the second problem I've had with this machine. Not the first HP I've owned. Never trying that again.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @BaronPresto!

The only Omen software that I am aware of is the Omen Command Center.  I have had three Omen laptops and one Omen desktop.  I have never had any problems with the OCC; especially any booting problems.  If you feel like this could be your problem, I suggest uninstalling it to see if that makes a difference.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.