Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 45L Gaming Desktop PC GT22-0000i (393C6AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

Brand new computer, I was only able to diagnose this because the game Valorant requires TPM 2.0 to play and it has so since last year. I'd been playing this game for a number of weeks and all of a sudden the other day it wouldn't let me play because TPM 2.0 was not detected. After calls with HP support and Windows support I'm still stuck. TPM is enabled in the BIOS but device manager does not show a security processor, "Security processor troubleshooting" notes that my device does not support this feature, tpm.msc notes "compatible TPM cannot be found". I would think TPM was working as I was able to play Valorant up until recently so not sure what happened. I've tried to "Reset PC" in full, tried to reimage with flash drive but can't because windows 11 install requires TPM which is not detected.

Oddly, and I think related, a week or two ago at every startup I was being asked for my Bitlocker key which was getting annoying. I disabled Bitlocker on the computer to avoid this and I had all the bitlocker settings that I could play with. Since the above issue, I've noticed there is no longer any Bitlocker settings on the computer, they have seemingly all disappeared.

One odd thing in the BIOS is that I've tried to clear the TPM keys and the note says that it will ask for confirmation via "Physical Presence" detection, I go to save BIOS settings but I don't get any prompts for confirmation, it just restarts. It also says that once TPM keys are cleared on next startup it will automatically change "Clear TPM Keys" to "No" but it doesn't do this after multiple startups. I'm not sure if the BIOS menu is showing that these changes are being made but maybe they aren't actually taking effect.

Anyways I'm at a loss, brand new computer, TPM and Secure Boot enabled in BIOS, but TPM is not detected by Windows. I would guess they were prior to a few days ago because Valorant was able to work before this.

EDIT: I've uploaded some photos for additional clarity:

1-Shows Secure Boot Enabled

2-Shows Default settings I've been using with TPM Available and Slider to Right for Enabled

3 - Changing the TPM State notes that "Physical Presence" check is required by BIOS, does not happen when you change this setting, just restarts after save.

4 - Changing the Clear TPM notes that "Physical Presence" check is required by BIOS, does not happen when you change this setting, just restarts after save. ALSO it says after they have been cleared on next setup it will revert back to No, it stays as yes until I manually change it back which makes me question if turning this to Yes is even doing anything...

Boot Options - Secure Boot EnabledBoot Options - Secure Boot Enabled

Default Settings - TPM EnabledDefault Settings - TPM Enabled

TPM State - Info BubbleTPM State - Info Bubble

Clear TPM - Info BubbleClear TPM - Info Bubble

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Just a heads up that I started a thread in Microsoft community as well for anyone's reference: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_11-hardware/new-hp-computer-tpm-not-detect...

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi@BHofffy,

Welcome to the HP Support Community! I'd like to help!

I see you are experiencing TPM issues with the OMEN By HP 45L Gaming Desktop PC.  

I have a few recommendations 

• Update your Notebook computer to latest BIOS from HP.COM.
  • Make sure the Windows and HP support assistant updates are up to date. 
  • If the TPM is a TPM 2.0 and is not detected by Windows, verify that your computer hardware contains a Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) that is Trusted Computing Group-compliant
  • Also, ensure that in the UEFI settings, the TPM has not been disabled or hidden from the operating system.
  • Try doing Reset PC Keep my files from windows and check if it works.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Dilip_18 - Thank you for the comments but alas I don't think there is a path forward and HP is asking me to return the computer as the only solution, thus I will be taking my business elsewhere. On your specific points:

-I am updated to latest BIOS, even tried to downgrade to previous version with no luck.

-All updates through Windows and HP are up to date.

-This is a brand new computer and thus I would think it is TCG compliant. This is a big issue if HP is sending out brand new computers that are not.

-As per the photos attached TPM is enabled in BIOS along with secure boot.

-I've tried doing Reset PC twice now with no success. I've tried a reimage from a thumb drive but cannot do so because it doesn't detect TPM and therefore can't install Windows 11.

My current theories:

1. TPM module on Intel chip has gone bad from a hardware perspective.

2. HP Omen BIOS does not show the appropriate advanced BIOS features to enable the CPU's - Regarding the BIOS I found a similar issue in the following thread. As this person's chip was not on the motherboard itself but on the CPU (as is mine we are assuming) they had to change BIOS setting of "TPM Device Selection" to one where the CPU would be seen for TPM. The Omen BIOS doesn't have any options like this, is this potentially an oversight in the BIOS that there aren't enough settings that can be adjusted to allow for a CPU TPM module? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tpm-20-enabled-but-not-showing-in-windows/8fc7...

Also at the following link it discusses enabling CPU's FTPM/PTT but notes the caveat that some motherboards may be lacking the BIOS setting to enable CPU's TPM. There are VERY limited TPM settings on the Omen BIOS related to TPM. If this were the case this is a big issue with new Omen computers and Windows 11 now requiring TPM. https://helgeklein.com/blog/how-to-check-windows-tpm-status-enable-cpu-amd-ftpm-intel-ptt/

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi@BHofffy,

Thank you for responding, I appreciate your time and effort. I apologize for the Inconvenience. 

If you find the Advanced settings tab missing in the BIOS, that is because the manufacturer has locked the settings on your computer as the improper use of the Advanced settings in BIOS could damage your computer. It is not available on this model. 

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Omen 45L uses a chip on the motherboard for the TPM controller. It's behind the video card and the MB says "BIOS" next to it. Datasheet: W25Q128JV - Serial NOR Flash - Code Storage Flash Memory - Winbond.   Intel's TTP is disabled by default. As pointed out Omen's bios does not give the option to select the CPU TTP. Presumably this was to stop retail basic people from changing it and messing up the boot. 

The TPM module most likely got corrupted. One thing to try is to set up a bios password as resetting the TPM may require that.  Otherwise, you'll need to swap out the motherboard as reprogramming the TPM chip would also requiring flashing the bios and there are no bios files available from HP to do that. 

HP Recommended

I really appreciate the feedback. I did try the setting BIOS password just now with no luck, same day my box showed up from HP for a repair so I will be sending back to them to see if they can figure it out. I'm going to point them to your post as the HP support folks thought the 45L TPM was coming from the CPU.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

I have the same issue with the brand-new HP Spectre x360 16 - TPM is enabled in BIOS but not detected in Windows.

It has factory installed Windows 11 Home upgraded to Pro, latest BIOS but BitLocker cannot be turned on.

HP Recommended

I have the exact issue with my OMEN 45L, about to exchange (again). Any luck fixing this? 

HP Recommended

No answers yet, I have sent it in for a repair as a last attempt and it is “waiting on a part”. Based on the last 2 replies in this thread about yourself and another having the same issue, I do wonder if there is a bigger issue at hand here. I’m very curious if the BIOS needs to be tweaked by HP to account for the issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.