Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 880-138nf
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was trying to help a friend of mine of a "corrupted BIOS" issue on his Omen gaming machine. Not under warranty, we didn't have much choice as the machine was displaying the BIOS corrupt message and rebooting. We found another motherboard  (MS-7A61, which I believe is Tampa2) on eBay and swapped it. 

However after the swap, the system start and stop immediately. I can see the CPU fan kick in for 2 seconds. The CPU is a i7-8700.

I then noticed that the motherboard we ordered was VER: 1.0 while the original was 1.3.

So I'm thinking it could be too old for i7-8700 CPU. 

• Do I have a way to find out what CPU can go in a Tamp2 V1.0?
  • And if I find a CPU like this, and boot this machine, will I be able to upgrade the BIOS to support the i7-8700 again?

Thanks a lot

Didier "Part of HPE, but people think I'm HP when their PC is broken :-)"

Didier

33 REPLIES 33
HP Recommended

Hello @Didier-Lalli 

I think your problem is more related to what eBay sold you, rather than the Tampa2 version.

HP lists 4 versions of Tampa2 on the specs page and they all support both 65w and 95w TDP 8th gen CPU's via chipset Z370. They should all be SSID 8437 and will use the same bios update.

I have an 880 with a Tampa2 and its also MS-7A61 as ver 1.3. I'm running the latest bios update ver F.53 with no problems. 

That is all the info I have. Anything further would require a call to the boys in Texas (but they're probably too cold to answer right now, Yikes 🌨  ). But the differences in versions should not have anything to do with the i7 8700 compatibility itself.

I will add, I have seen several people buy motherboards from eBay and its always been hit and miss. If there were problems with ver 1.0, I wont have any knowledge of it. Its always possible HP may have pulled them from production because of that and someone out there got their hands on one and sold it on the web.

HP Recommended

Thanks for reaching out. 

Yes I also contacted the company in the UK which sold me the motherboard. To ask for explanation and support.

Sorry if this looks dumb but I could not see the page you where talking about on the specs. Do they provide any version numbers? Do you have a direct link to it?

Also not sure I understand your point about SSID 8437? Can you explain again?

The replacement  board I ordered was also an MS-7A61 but V1.0, not 1.3. I din't pay attention to this when I order as it was the only MS-7A61 I could find on the net. The version was not visible in the description nor visible on the picture.

I guess I'm in trouble.

Didier

HP Recommended

And do you think that it's worth trying to find an i3-8100 (compatible with Z370) just to boot & upgrade BIOS?

HP Recommended

Just to confirm, the board number reads MS-7A61 and the sticker before it reads SP# LO2051, correct?

And just a check list...

All the power connectors are solid right? No loose connections including the CPU power cable and mobo power cable?

You went back and re-seated the memory modules also?

You have new thermal compound on the heat sink?

You unplugged power cord and pulled the cmos battery for 10 minutes, then reapplied and tested?

HP Recommended

>Just to confirm, the board number reads MS-7A61 and the sticker before it reads SP# LO2051, correct?

Nope:  SP#915477

>All the power connectors are solid right? No loose connections including the CPU power cable and mobo power cable?

Yep

>You went back and re-seated the memory modules also?

Yep

>You have new thermal compound on the heat sink?

Yep

>You unplugged power cord and pulled the cmos battery for 10 minutes, then reapplied and tested?

Nope.

HP Recommended

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-22 at 14.53.47.jpeg

HP Recommended

Not sure what your photo had in it but the server blocked it. It cannot contain the PC's serial number.

Give the bios reset with the battery a shot if you can just to make sure that will work or not. I had a similar experience once and that fixed it.

I will also check with the hp insider group and see if that number is truly for the Tampa2 and not the Tampa (different chipsets)

I dont know when they will get with me but I will let you know what I find when it happens.

HP Recommended

@Didier-Lalli 

Did resetting the bios do anything yet?

I found some photo documentation for both Tampa and Tampa2 and looks like they used the same photo for both.

Both had the same MS-7A61 ID and same construction. I can only assume the design is the same, only the chipset is different, which is very odd that HP wouldn't change the MS number. I cannot get verification on the tag number. HP texas is a little tied up right now with their state of emergency currently.

Either way, if the board wont work, it wont work. I would send it back to the seller if I could. You would do best to find one with Version 1.3 as your friends original was.

Thats the best I can do for you on this.

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot. I'm not at home these days. Cannot try.

We have asked for refund and will ship it back.

We have found another one with the right SN# thanks to your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.