Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mpthompson
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Temperature sensors on Omen 870-290 appear to rapidly jump all over. Is there a fix?

Omen 870-290
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I had the opportunity to purchase two new Omen 870-290 Desktop gaming systems from my work for myself and a friend.  At the office, the systems worked fine, but when I brought them home I did a recovery install of Windows 10 to put them into a pristine state for personal use.  After the recovery I updated all drivers and the BIOS to the latest versions on the HP support website.  After doing the re-install of Windows I have had endless problems with the fans and heating.  I suspect that during the recovery process some important drivers that were previously on the system didn't get re-installed or were updated to versions that are causing me the issues I'm experiencing.  According to HP Support Assistant software, my system has all the latest versions of the drivers and BIOS for the Omen 870-290.

After experimenting with and monitoring my system with HWMonitor, the best I can tell is that the temperature sensors (or the drivers that read the temperature) are reporting inaccurate temperatures.  In an idle state all four cores stay at a reasonable 35 to 38 degrees C.  However, with the modest load on the system the temperatures will wildly fluctuate between 38 and 100 degrees C -- these fluctuations occur within a span of just a few seconds. Of course, the CPU fan goes nuts while the temperature is swinging all over.  Instead of such wild fluctuations, when the system has a load, I would expect the CPU temperatures to gradually rise to warmer values over several minutes.  Seeing the CPU rise from 35 degrees C to 100 degrees C and then return back to 35 degrees C over the course of a few seconds just doesn't seem right.

The other issue I have is that software such HWMonitor and SpeedFan are unable to report CPU or motherboard fan speeds, or even recognize that the fans are installed and running.  The fans are indeed spinning and I do hear them spin faster when the temperature of the CPU rise.  The software just doesn't seem to recognize them.

Have other people experienced temperature problems on Omen desktop systems after doing a recovery install of Windows 10?  If so, is there a known driver or BIOS fix to return the reported CPU temperatures to sane values?

1 REPLY 1
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
22,636 22,593 1,897 3,017
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Temperature sensors on Omen 870-290 appear to rapidly jump all over. Is there a fix?

@mpthompson

Welcome to the HP Forums,

We'll be with you until it's all sorted.

I've reviewed your in-depth analysis and I must say, it's quite impressive the way you've written all the details on here,

That said, I recommend you get back to the OEM as you may be right while you've said that the issue occurred due to a missing software or driver, possibly not detected by the HP Support Assistant either while using the version of windows in use.

If you haven't used the HP Recovery manager to revert back to the OEM: Microsoft Windows 10 Home High End (64-bit)
I suggest you order one using this link: Click here for details.

And use the same to resolve this issue.

Also, about Speedfan and HWMonitor, HP doesn't recommend or support using such 3rd party applications, as an alternative you may use the HP Omen controller to complete similar tasks.

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48 hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation