blueAPACHE
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

Tested z420 with 96Gb RAM

HP Recommended
HP z420
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently purchased a second hand z420, which came with a mish mash of RAM - 4 x 2Gb and 1 x 8Gb.

I am now running this machine at 96Gb with registered RAM and it works like a dream.

I have no doubt that it will run up to 128Gb if needed, but thought I would put it out there that I am using 2 different manufacturers, but the same speeds etc. on all channels. 

Has anyone tried the 128Gb RAM as yet and if so, how does it run?

I found I had to update the BIOS to recognise the 96Gb, as Windows only sees 72Gb, but this was pretty straight forward and now I am about to change the fairly ordinary GPU for a better card and the 600PSU to a 650 watt, mainly so I can run both in parallel to manage the required power supplies to the GPUs.

my questions is really is what GPU are some people using? I have a radeon 6870 left over from an old machine, but keen to hear the latest ad greatest from the forum.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation