Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi, I was wondering if someone from HP had an update on the firmware flaw pointed out here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Desktops/The-RAM-shortage-for-hp-pavilion-690-0024/m-p/6991316 which is removing 2.1 GB of the advertised 8 GB of memory, thus bringing it to 5.9 GB. Thanks.

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@DynacorpLtd

Welcome to HP Support Community

I have gone through your Post and I understand your concerns

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have a brand-new HP 690-0010 with the same problem.  It only has 6 GB accessible RAM out of 8 GB total RAM, from both Microsoft Windows and Linux.  I was going to try to upgrade the RAM as soon as possible to the maximum of 2X 16 GB = 32 GB.  From the linked thread, it sounds like the problem is because HP has set the motherboard to always allocate 2 GB of RAM to the integrated graphics card, without an easy option to turn off the integrated graphics card and utilize the full RAM with dedicated graphics only.  So if I upgrade to 32 GB RAM, I should still have only 30 GB of accessible RAM, yes?

I am no expert, but I am guessing that the compact form factor of the HP 690-00xx series heats up more quickly than a full-size desktop tower, so by limiting the dedicated graphics to only when it is really needed, that could be helping to keep the PC cool and help it to last longer.  At least for my 690-0010, the secondary GPU fan is really loud when it is running, so I don't think I mind allocating some RAM aside to use the quieter more energy-efficient integrated graphics if I am not doing anything that needs the dedicated graphics card.

https://www.nicolesharp.net/
HP Recommended

After doing some research, I cannot find a single situation in which the integrated GPU is being utilized by Windows, it is not utilized by Windows 10 versions 19H1 & 20H1, and cannot be used anyway, as it is not the default GPU in Windows, unless you attach an HDMI to the HDMI port on the motherboard, which, unfortunately, is sealed on the chassis, rendering the GPU utterly useless for any tasks in Windows. You can't even set it as the "Power Saving GPU", so it cannot be used on Windows Client at all.

HP Recommended

I've been keeping an eye on the Windows Task Manager, and unfortunately, the 2 GB of RAM hardware-reserved for the integrated graphics does not seem to be being used.  Does HP have any explanation for this or why it is reserved in the first place then?

HP Recommended

I've heard that this issue was also affecting certain laptops, and a firmware update has been issued to remedy the issue on affected laptops, I should be hearing back later this week from HP regarding the status of a firmware update for this PC.

HP Recommended

my computer also has this exact same issue. has hp been working to solve this? i thought my pc was 8gb memory.. its a 690-0024

HP Recommended

I was supposed to hear back from HP yesterday on the issue. It is now Friday, and unfortunately, I have not received an update yet.

HP Recommended

I apreciate your responce, I have resolved my issue by returning this PC and i have ordered anotherone that doesnt have proprietary motherboard/psu/case/cpu cooler. very limmiting and unfortunate. not sure why HP does this, i would be fine with there own brand motherboard i jsut dont undersant why it has to all be proprietary.. its only goin to hurt them

HP Recommended

I ended up having the RAM on the HP 690-0010 upgraded from 8 GB to 32 GB, but it still only shows 30 GB of usable RAM.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.