Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 870-120
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Ok, so I got this brand new desktop. the problem is that since I first powered it up, the headphone jack on top of the PC does not work, it doesn´t detect any headphones I plug into it.

I have searched all audio devices and it does not appear on the list. It only lists the one from the back of the PC.

I have also checked in device manager, updated drivers and even checked the BIOS to try and find something, but it was a fruitless effort.

Please help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi

The top headphone/mic port connects (by a cable) to an HD Audio header on the motherboard (MB). The MB header uses a 10 pin connection with one pin missing to connect to a 9 pin female connector. This connector can only be plugged in one way.

It is possible this connection has become loose during shipping. It is a friction fit connection.

This motherboard front/top audio header is usually located below the last PCIe slot along the bottom of the motherboard.

Your motherboard may be inverted when installed in the chassis.

Shut the PC down. Disconnect from AC power. Depress the power switch to drain residual power on the motherboard. Avoid carpet or conductive surfaces when working inside the PC chassis. Use an anti static wrist strap to prevent ESD.

Remove the side panel. Check/reseat the FP_Audio connector.

Tom

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi! @DiegoDj66, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you have audio issues with your laptop.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your laptop?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

As you mentioned when you plug the headphones or external speakers into the headphone port you are unable to head any audio.

Check if the headphones and speaker cables are securely connected to the headphone port.

First, try updating the BIOS and audio drivers on your PC and check if it helps.

Link to update the BIOS.

Also, update the audio drivers using this link.

Please try the steps recommended below.

Go to Windows Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers section.
In the list of audio device drivers, look for Conexant High definition Audio. This is the device driver for BeatsAudio (a little bit sneaky, wouldn’t you say?).
Right-click and select Disable. The downward arrow displays on this driver, indicating it is disabled. (NOTE: At this point, you won’t be able to play any music files.)
Right-click and select Update Driver Software.
Select Browse my computer for driver software.
Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
You should see a window that says Select the device driver you want to install for this hardware. NOTE: If you see a window that says something like This is the best driver for this device, exit the window and repeat steps 4, 5, and 6.
In the Model box, highlight High Definition Audio Device (this is the substitute audio device driver) and click Next.
At the Update Driver Warning window, click Yes. You should see a confirmation window with High Definition Audio Device displayed. Click Close.
In the list of audio device drivers in the Sound, video and game controllers section, you’ll notice that the High Definition Audio Device now displays instead of Conexant High definition Audio.
At the prompt to reboot, click Yes.

If the issue still persists try the steps recommended below.

Is the loudness equalization off? If not, please:
Right, click the speaker icon
select 'Playback Devices'. 
Highlight the default device
Click Properties
Click Enhancements tab
Next to 'Loudness Equalization' take out the check mark in the box.
Click Apply
Click OK

If the issue still persists uninstall the audio driver from device manager and install the drivers using HP recovery manager.

Refer this article to know how to restore drivers using HP recovery manager.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi

The top headphone/mic port connects (by a cable) to an HD Audio header on the motherboard (MB). The MB header uses a 10 pin connection with one pin missing to connect to a 9 pin female connector. This connector can only be plugged in one way.

It is possible this connection has become loose during shipping. It is a friction fit connection.

This motherboard front/top audio header is usually located below the last PCIe slot along the bottom of the motherboard.

Your motherboard may be inverted when installed in the chassis.

Shut the PC down. Disconnect from AC power. Depress the power switch to drain residual power on the motherboard. Avoid carpet or conductive surfaces when working inside the PC chassis. Use an anti static wrist strap to prevent ESD.

Remove the side panel. Check/reseat the FP_Audio connector.

Tom

HP Recommended

That’s exactly it, much appreciated! 

HP Recommended

Hi DiegoDj66

You are welcome.

Enjoy your new PC!

Tom

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.