TwoXMike
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Top fan (CPU fan) won't stop rapidly spinning (4000 rpm) also GPU HDMI issue

Omen X
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

For a good month now I've been having an issue with my CPU fan. Currently no matter what I am doing, browsing the web, watching shows, playing games or even if the computer is idle and there is absolutly nothing going on the CPU fan just spins at no less than 4000 rpm.

I got this computer less than a year ago so I highly doubt the thermal paste is the issue (also I don't want to replace it and void the warrenty either way). For months it was going fine, I could play anything I wanted on max settings now, I can't even play a 10 year old game without my worrying if it's running too hot.

I installed SpeedFan just to see what was going on and what speeds the fan was running at. All of the temperatures were at normal levels (34c and lower) except for PECI Agent0 Domain0 which (when the fan is running rapidly) sits around 97 - 100 c.

I have no idea why this is happening, if anyone had any suggestions other than replace the thermal paste and see what happens, it would be greatly appreciated

Also, just remembered this issue. For some reason (just in the past couple of days) the HDMI port on one of my GPU's has stopped working. Now I am beginning to think that the computer itself is just a complete dud and I might need to take it back to Harvey Norman to get a new one.

Anyway, either CPU fan or GPU help would be greatly appricated.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Level 15
Level 15
11,083 10,894 1,122 3,234
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @TwoXMike

I read your other post also and I agree, don't go tearing into the laptop and replace fans.

Just the fact that the HDMI port has stopped working should give you a clue as to what to do.

If Harvey Norman (I'm guessing Australia?) will take it back for an exchange, do so now.

Otherwise you will need to do a warranty claim with HP (which will take longer to get your laptop back into your hands).

Contact HP Worldwide | HP® Official Site

0 Kudos
TwoXMike
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Photoray002 wrote:

Hello @TwoXMike

I read your other post also and I agree, don't go tearing into the laptop and replace fans.

Just the fact that the HDMI port has stopped working should give you a clue as to what to do.

If Harvey Norman (I'm guessing Australia?) will take it back for an exchange, do so now.

Otherwise you will need to do a warranty claim with HP (which will take longer to get your laptop back into your hands).

Contact HP Worldwide | HP® Official Site

I don't have a laptop, I have the Omen X Desktop Gaming Cube thing.

I'm not looking to replace any fans, the issue with the CPU fan is the fact that the thermal paste has dried up but I don't wanna go replacing that and voiding the warrenty by disconnecting the heatsink from the CPU.

The fact that the HDMI port on one of the GPU fans tells me it needs to be replaced

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
11,083 10,894 1,122 3,234
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK apologies, Laptop/Desktop either way, the hdmi port has failed. It will need to be replaced as I pointed out.

And I didnt tell you to replace any fans and I doubt the thermal paste is "dried up" yet.

So  If you're under warranty, you will need to contact HP Support to get that replaced or get it exchanged at the store. Otherwise it will cost you out of pocket.  Thats all I was saying.

But good luck anyway.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation