Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen Desktop 870-2XX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently bought an HP Omen Desktop 870-2XX - Product #Z5M59AA#ABA.

But I was disappointed that the included optical drive was only a DVD-RW, so I replaced it with a Blu-Ray burner.  Although it was easy to find directions for replacing the optical drive, I haven’t been able to find any info on how to remove the bezel from the old drive so I can put it on my new drive.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

-K

762E358A-A3F8-49E7-9D98-42D1AE696CE8.jpeg

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Kravortek

Refer to the video link for step by step instructions. Select "Optical Drive" from the left side of the screen. 

You may also try this link.

Let me know. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Ha! Never though about doing it myself - but it sounds like a good idea!

What Blue-Ray drive did you buy exactly?

And let us know when (and how) you manage to remove this bezel.

HP Recommended

The video link isn't working for me - I get a message that the site can't be reached.

And the user guide appears to be for a laptop, not a desktop - which is what I have.

But I will try to see if I can locate a release tab on the bezel.

HP Recommended

I purchased an LG Slim BD DVDR BU40N drive from NewEgg.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1FV-0004-00016

The drive works perferctly, although I haven't tried burning Blu Ray discs yet.

So far my only complaint is that it doesn't seem easy to replace the bezel.

HP Support would not help me (after I waited on the phone for 40 minutes!).  They said that they would not assist me to modify my computer to an "out of spec" condition.  But replacing an optical drive doesn't seem like such a radical, or unreasonable, modification to make.

HP Recommended

Hi @Kravortek

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So how did it work for you after all?

HP Recommended

Hey

Care to update us all with an outcome?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.