Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
870-243nd i5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

can the Omen Game PC  productnumber 870-243nd i5 be upgradet to a much faster game pc.

And if so what are the possibilities

What does such upgrade costs

My son (14 year) did buy this pc 2 years ago (€ 1200,=) and can play allmost all games except battlefield but his pc does lag several times and he wants more graffic games to play and to make his own video's and work with photoshop programs

Please could you advice us what's best to do we do not know that much about is

Upgrade or sell en resell 

Intel core i5-7400 CPU 3.00 Ghz

8 gb

slide1 : 4 gb sk hynix 2400 mhz

slide 2: 4 gb sk hynix 2400 mhz

Systemcard : 82f1 1.01

System: GeForce GTX 1050

7.93 GB RAM

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Ryan030, I have added some links below to the components that I would recommend upgrading:

Processor: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117727&Description=i7%207700&cm_re=i7_7700...

Memory: https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP-Compaq/omen-870-243nd

The link to the memory is from Crucial Memory.  If they recommend their memory for you computer it is guaranteed to work.  You may have to remove the existing memory to do the upgrade.  Different brands of memory are not always compatible.  Also, the motherboard has Dual channel architecture, which means that if you install memory as a pair, it will increase the speed and performance of the memory.  Crucial's Tech Support is a great place to go for help.

Video card:  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814137054

If you read the Customer Reviews and Specifications of the video card you will learn a lot about it.  It would give the computer a major system performance boost.  MSI makes great products.  It states that it will run with a 300W PSU.  So, you could give the one in the computer a try, but if it doesn't run properly, you can upgrade to at least a 500W PSU.  As I stated in  my previous post, I like Corsair or Seasonic products.  Both are very good.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095&nm_mc=KNC-MSNSearch-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-M...

Now, as for can you do the upgrades yourselves?  --  It would be a great Mom/Dad type of activity and would teach both of you a lot about computers.  Once you upgrade or build a computer all of the fear goes away.  There are certain things that you have to learn to do it and you will have a better understanding how they work.  There are hundreds of websites and videos on how to do all of the upgrades.  The most difficult task is getting all of the cables from the PSU connected properly.  When I do this, I always take a close-up picture of where each cable is connected.  This helps me when installing the new ones.  Also, all of the cables and connectors are labled and the connectors on the motherboard are labled.

You can add up the cost from the links that I gave you.  It would be approximately $800 USD.  You can get less expensive options, but I gave you some good quality options.  I would be glad to help in anyway that I can to make it easier for you.  Like I said, there are hundreds of websites and videos to help, also.  Just run a search for beginners how to build a computer to see all that is available.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Ryan030 , welcome to the forum.

Yes, you can upgrade the processor and the memory.  Here is the Product Specifications page for the computer.  Look at the sections titled "Processor upgrade information" and "Memory upgrade information" for the compatible upgrades.  Also, there is a PCI Express 3.0 x16 slot for the video card.  You could add a faster video card.  This would require a power supply unit (PSU) upgrade, also.  The PSU is only 300W.  Most of the newer video cards require at least 400W.  I recommend 100W to 150W more to give you power for peak power needs.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. Is the PC worth the upgrade or better buy a new one with standard more power?

Can you estimate the costs of the upgrade en can we do this ourself or do we have to hire someone. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. Is the PC worth the upgrade or better buy a new one with standard more power?

Can you estimate the costs of the upgrade en can we do this ourself or do we have to hire someone

HP Recommended

@Ryan030, I have added some links below to the components that I would recommend upgrading:

Processor: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117727&Description=i7%207700&cm_re=i7_7700...

Memory: https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP-Compaq/omen-870-243nd

The link to the memory is from Crucial Memory.  If they recommend their memory for you computer it is guaranteed to work.  You may have to remove the existing memory to do the upgrade.  Different brands of memory are not always compatible.  Also, the motherboard has Dual channel architecture, which means that if you install memory as a pair, it will increase the speed and performance of the memory.  Crucial's Tech Support is a great place to go for help.

Video card:  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814137054

If you read the Customer Reviews and Specifications of the video card you will learn a lot about it.  It would give the computer a major system performance boost.  MSI makes great products.  It states that it will run with a 300W PSU.  So, you could give the one in the computer a try, but if it doesn't run properly, you can upgrade to at least a 500W PSU.  As I stated in  my previous post, I like Corsair or Seasonic products.  Both are very good.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095&nm_mc=KNC-MSNSearch-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-M...

Now, as for can you do the upgrades yourselves?  --  It would be a great Mom/Dad type of activity and would teach both of you a lot about computers.  Once you upgrade or build a computer all of the fear goes away.  There are certain things that you have to learn to do it and you will have a better understanding how they work.  There are hundreds of websites and videos on how to do all of the upgrades.  The most difficult task is getting all of the cables from the PSU connected properly.  When I do this, I always take a close-up picture of where each cable is connected.  This helps me when installing the new ones.  Also, all of the cables and connectors are labled and the connectors on the motherboard are labled.

You can add up the cost from the links that I gave you.  It would be approximately $800 USD.  You can get less expensive options, but I gave you some good quality options.  I would be glad to help in anyway that I can to make it easier for you.  Like I said, there are hundreds of websites and videos to help, also.  Just run a search for beginners how to build a computer to see all that is available.

HP Recommended

I agree with what Geekster recommended and will modify one thing...

If you are going to swap out the cpu to a 7700 and install a 500w PSU with 16 GB of ram... It would not make sense to install such a low step up in graphics to a 1050ti, but rather a more modern RTG 2060 Ti with the new Ray Tracing technology. Your machines relevancy will last much longer and you will be much more satisfied with the results. I guarantee it. But that's just my opinion.

HP Recommended

@Photoray002, great suggestion!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.