Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Pavillion 690-0067c

Thinking about purchase of HP Pavilion 690-0067C want to upgrade HDD drive to ssd. Thinking of a NVME M.2 500GB card but from what I have read on this forum the slot only provide 2 lanes of communication that this motherboard has vs 4 lanes that other mother boards provide.
This leads to a performance drop of that M.2 ssd. Question is: am i I better off just going with a SATA drive PCIe slot. Would speeds be similar?  Sata drive would be a little less expensive but cost is not a big factor. More for performance but I'm not a gamer. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So if you are still going with this system and want to install an M.2 drive, I would simply look for one that is going to give you the best value per dollar.

I have seen some NVMe drives that were about the same price as a Sata. When its that cheap, you might as well go for the NVMe. It will still be faster than Sata, although you wont physically notice much of a difference to the naked eye.

I believe Crucial has an NVMe thats about the same as their Sata M.2 drives. You just have to see what the going sale price is at the moment at what ever store.

Is that what you needed? Let me know.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @Papillon86 

My opinion based on the issues I have seen on this forum with that particular model, I would advise you to look for something else.  This particular model with the Sunflower motherboard and the AMD based chipset has issues with hardware allocated memory that AMD hasn't addressed. And Yes, You will only get half the speed from an M.2 4x3 NVMe SSD due to the M.2 slot being compatible with both Sata and PCIe.

If gaming is your goal (you didn't make it clear what your needs are), I would consider spending a little more and look for something like an Omen system with a fully dedicated M.2 NVMe slot.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response to my inquiry but I am not a gamer.  

HP Recommended

So if you are still going with this system and want to install an M.2 drive, I would simply look for one that is going to give you the best value per dollar.

I have seen some NVMe drives that were about the same price as a Sata. When its that cheap, you might as well go for the NVMe. It will still be faster than Sata, although you wont physically notice much of a difference to the naked eye.

I believe Crucial has an NVMe thats about the same as their Sata M.2 drives. You just have to see what the going sale price is at the moment at what ever store.

Is that what you needed? Let me know.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response "Ray" and that was what I was looking for.  Yes Crucial has a M.2NVME that would work with my mother board.  Just have to go back and see who's got the best price on that.  Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.