Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
h8-1160t
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I would like to upgrade my old hp desktop to be able to edit 4k videos. I currently have a nvidia GeForce GTX 550 TI. What can I upgrade my gpu to that will allow me to edit those high resolution videos? My computer also says I am runing CHG_712.rom vCHG7.12 if that is helpful? Can I upgrade my graphics card and power supply to be able to achieve my goal?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HEllo @MGreenbeck

4K video edtiting eats up CPU processing, so while your i7 2600 was good in its day, you will see night and day difference with the new i9 9900 or even an i7 8700. Upgrading your video card wont help you that much. It will be a combination of of hardware that only a new PC will really help with.

Just my opinion.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

HEllo @MGreenbeck

4K video edtiting eats up CPU processing, so while your i7 2600 was good in its day, you will see night and day difference with the new i9 9900 or even an i7 8700. Upgrading your video card wont help you that much. It will be a combination of of hardware that only a new PC will really help with.

Just my opinion.

HP Recommended

So you are saying that I should keep my current setup and swap out my processer for a faster one? That still wont allow me to edit my 4k videos because my graphics card can't output that resolution. I guess I am trying to prolong the enevitable of having to build my own computer. 

HP Recommended

You cant swap out the processor to anything faster as you are limited by the motherboard.

You would have to look for a used GPU but I dont know as to what will help much.

I am at the understanding that your bios would need to be upgraded to version 8 or higher to accept a new modern graphics card, but your system didnt get updated past version 7.

Thats why I say, rendering 4k video would work much better with a new system.

But if thats not possible, I understand.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.