Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Hp omen 870-222
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi I would like to upgrade my hp omen 870-222 it has 8gb ram, gtx 1050, i5 7400  and I was wondering what should I upgrade first and also what graphics cards are compatiable?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK thanks. I would definitely up grade the graphics card. MW Call of Duty can take advantage of Ray Tracing now. In such case, You will want to consider an RTX 2060 6GB which in some cases out performs the older GTX 1070 and its about the same price (approximately speaking).

Your 500W PSU should still be enough to power it also. I would make sure what ever brand you choose will fit the case first.

Measure the available space inside and compare the length to the new cards specs. Make sure you have the 6 or 8 pin power connector on the power supply to connect to the new card also.

I would see how that works first, before upgrading things like ram to 16GB.

The CPU can be upgraded to a i7 7700k ultimately, but I wouldn't consider that at this point.

The 7700 non K can probably use the same heat sink that you have now, but the 7700K would have to have a new heat sink and your air flow in that case is not the best already.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @Bubba9 

Let me ask...

What is your goal or expectations of upgrading? What specifically are you wanting to achieve?

What is your budget?

Are you playing on a standard 1080p 60Hz monitor or higher specs?

What kind of games?

If I know what you are wanting to gain specifically, I can have a better idea what to suggest.

HP Recommended

I’d like to just be able to play on higher graphics settings with a smoother feel. Like for instance I play Modern Warefare and I have to put every thing on low and I’d just like to be able to play on higher settings while it staying smooth. I have an asus monitor in pretty sure it’s 60hz and 1080p.

HP Recommended

I’d like to just be able to play on higher graphics settings with a smoother feel. Like for instance I play Modern Warefare and I have to put every thing on low and I’d just like to be able to play on higher settings while it staying smooth. I have an asus monitor in pretty sure it’s 60hz and 1080p. 
@Photoray002

HP Recommended

OK thanks. I would definitely up grade the graphics card. MW Call of Duty can take advantage of Ray Tracing now. In such case, You will want to consider an RTX 2060 6GB which in some cases out performs the older GTX 1070 and its about the same price (approximately speaking).

Your 500W PSU should still be enough to power it also. I would make sure what ever brand you choose will fit the case first.

Measure the available space inside and compare the length to the new cards specs. Make sure you have the 6 or 8 pin power connector on the power supply to connect to the new card also.

I would see how that works first, before upgrading things like ram to 16GB.

The CPU can be upgraded to a i7 7700k ultimately, but I wouldn't consider that at this point.

The 7700 non K can probably use the same heat sink that you have now, but the 7700K would have to have a new heat sink and your air flow in that case is not the best already.

HP Recommended

Ok thank you!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.