Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Desktop PC - 880-103nl

I want to upgrade my video card from a gtx1070 to a rtx2060, do i have to change my power source? (i have already 500watts)

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Giuseppebr , welcome to the forum.

Here are the specifications for the RTX 2060 on Newegg:  https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-rtx-2060-rtx-2060-gaming-z-6g/p/N82E16814137379?Description=RTX%2...

This card is made by MSI.  The minimum power requirement is 500W,  Also, it requires a 1 x 8-pin PCIe power connector.  If you have the 8-pin power connector the card should work for you.  Normally, it is recommended that the power supply unit  (PSU) has 100W to 150W more than the card requires.  Each manufacturer has their own specifications.  So, you can check some of them on Newegg.  I like Newegg for research because the always provide the best "Specifications" for their products.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

@old_geekster 

I agree. The OP already has a GTX 1070 (150W) on that 500W PSU.  As the RXT2060 is 160W, I feel as you do, it will be OK.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

From a 1070 I would not upgrade to a 2060, you wont get much performance boost.

I had to upgrade from a 1080 (fan was broken) and I picked the 2070. To be honest, almost no differences in performance.

I used to 2070 (Zotac mini) as this card had an 8 pin power connector. Works good with my 500 Watt power supply.

HP Recommended

What @Ralph_Mc  said is mostly correct with the exception of "Ray Tracing" (but only if you are running games that benefit from it). Personally I would not upgrade from 1070 to a 2060 or 2070.

I would at least go 2070 super for about the same money, but you will have to upgrade the PSU at that point. Still not really worth the money just to upgrade to that.

Considering the new RTX 3000 series is just a couple months around the corner, I would hang on for a little while and wait. Its only a couple months off (Sept or Oct expected release). What ever games you are playing now, will still work just as well till then.  JMHO  😉

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.