Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 870-130VX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Omen 870-130VX, Product number is Y8Q37AV.

I'd like to know what upgrade options i have in regards to the power supply and GPU.

Currently I have the 1080GTX with 500Watt power supply.

Cpu has the liquid cooled option which I've never over clocked.

Also I understand we don't know alot about the recently dropped 30xx-RTX series from Nvidia other than the sales pitch but I'm thinking it would be a good upgrade as long as I can go with a larger power supply.

Previously someone mistakenly thought my case was midsized but its not it is a full size case.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I personally would get the RTX3070, your PSU should be enough for it, so you wouldn't need to do much upgrades.  If you go for the bigger 3080, you might have an issue with fitting it in the case and probably have to replace the PSU as well, also your CPU bottleneck will be much larger with it. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

I personally would get the RTX3070, your PSU should be enough for it, so you wouldn't need to do much upgrades.  If you go for the bigger 3080, you might have an issue with fitting it in the case and probably have to replace the PSU as well, also your CPU bottleneck will be much larger with it. 

HP Recommended

Oh nice, didn't even know that!! That would be a good upgrade if the specs they released are to be believed.!  🙂

HP Recommended

Yes exactly, for $499 and better compared to the RTX2080TI, its a no brainier.  

HP Recommended

Actually just found that I'll have to get a 600watt power supply if i go with 3070, nvidia recommends that power supply for that card.  I noticed that my model did offer a 600watt option but for the life of me i can not find that anywhere on hps sites. 

HP Recommended

nVidia can recommend all they want, don't jump in and spending all the money before you test. 

They are recommending  550W for RTX 2070, but I am running it on my Pavilion with i7 9700F and the stock 400W PSU with no issues, power draw from the wall is total of 270W and the PSU fan is not even spinning during stress test. So don't listen to the recommendations, they are with specific hardware in mind, usually with small print indicated somewhere on their page.

HP Recommended

Interesting.  I'll def keep that in mind!!

Heck its a no brainer upgrade if it is as good as they claim.

I'll take that gpu perf increase for only $500!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.