Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 880-106ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey guys,

since nvidia is launching their RTX 3080 on the 17th this month, I have decided to replace GTX 1080.

I already know that my power supply will be to weak to handle the new gpu (It only has 450W. I mean the hell was HP thinking about when they have choosen this power supply?).

Now those are the things im not sure about this upgrade:

- Will the i7 8700 be a slight bottleneck when using the RTX 3080?

- Is the Tampa2 motherboard compatible with these new cards? (PCI Gen 4)

Does anybody know more than me about this topic?

Thank you for the help!

greetings

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Yes the motherboard is compatible, you just going to have a slightly slower data transfer speeds, you probably will never even notice. 

As for the CPU, it might be a slight bottleneck, but again I am not expecting anything mind blowing that will force you to upgrade it, the 8700 is only a few generations old and it still is pretty capable. 

I am going to test the 3080 on I7 2700K, now that would a bit concerning 🙂 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the information 😄

I really wasn't sure if Tampa2 is supporting the new graphic cards.

i7 2700k sounds really ancient. Good luck with that one 🙂

I am a bit nervous replacing the power supply since it looks like HP did a really good job making every cable super tight by using cable ties. I hope I will get the same result afterwards.

HP Recommended

I am sure that you can do even a better job with the PSU, if you put the time and patience in to it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.