Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen by Hp Desktop PC - 870-224
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently I've upgraded my RAM (from 8GB to 16 GB) and my CPU (i5 - 7400 to a i7-770k). However my CPU fan looks like it can't keep it cooled enough like it did with the other one (the i5 that is), so I figured that getting a better fan for it is better. But the problem is I'm not quite sure on how to go about deciding and buying it, especially when trying to figure out if its compatible with my mother board or not. 

Omen by HP Desktop PC - 870-224 

Device Name - Addisons-computer

Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700k CPU @ 4.20 Hz 4.20GHz

Installed RAM - 16.0GB

MotherBoard - Odense2-K

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Welcome to the forum @ElusiveTwo1

Both the i5-7400  and  i7-7700 are 65 Watts

Intel Core i7-7700 (Kabylake) 3.6 GHz Quad Core
65 W
Intel HD Graphics 630
Intel Core i5-7400 (Kabylake) 3.0 GHz Quad Core
65 W
Intel HD Graphics 630

There should be no noticeable temperature change???

REO

HP Recommended

Well, sometimes my cpu will overheat if I’m playing an intense game (like battlefield V) which I can hear it running really loudly. Sometimes overheating. Any solution for that problem?

HP Recommended

Is water cooling compatible with my motherboard? Because I’m not sure about it as I have no prior knowledge about water cooling. 

HP Recommended

@ElusiveTwo1

It is not being compatible with your motherboard it is fitting it to your CPU and Exhaust Fan.

Try asking here if there is a fan compatible with your 870-224???

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/forumdisplay.php?f=155

Sorry I wish I had more.

REO

HP Recommended

Just to point out that OP has upgraded his/her CPU to i7-7700k - which is more demanding when heat dissipation is taken into account:

Processor
TDP
Integrated Graphics
Intel Core i7-7700K (Kabylake) 4.2 GHz Quad Core
91 W
Integrated HD Graphics 630

Good to hear that you actually made it work - I am thinking about similar upgrade in the future (maybe).

When it comes to heatsink / fan - would standard, off-the-shelf units work really here? I was under impression that HP MoBos are difficult to handle due to possibly altered dimensions and require HP-supplied cooling assemblies? Perhaps I'm mistaken.

Perhaps @grzwacz will be able to help?

HP Recommended
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.