Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Power 580-130 
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
  I have a HP Pavilion Power 580-130 with the  Basswood Motherboard, a Ryzen 5 1400 and a AMD RX 580.
I know the MoBo can be upgraded to a Ryzen 7 1700 w/65 watt TDP.
I'm wondering if it can be upgraded to a Ryzen 7 2700 w/65 watt TDP?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Bane5150, welcome to the forum.

Here are the processor that have been tested to be compatible with the motherboard:

• TDP: up to 65 W
  • Socket type: AM4
  • Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
    Processor
    TDP
    AMD Ryzen7-1700 (Summit Ridge) 3.0 GHz, 8 cores/16 threads
    65 W
    AMD Ryzen5-1600 (Summit Ridge) 3.2 GHz, 6 cores/12 threads
    65 W
    AMD Ryzen5-1400 (Summit Ridge) 3.2 GHz, 4 cores/8 threads
    65 W
    AMD Ryzen3-1200 (Summit Ridge) 3.1 GHz, 4 cores/4 threads
    65 W

As you can see, the Ryzen 7 2700 w/65W TDP is not on the list.  This means it may or may not work.  There is no guaranty.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Bane5150, welcome to the forum.

Here are the processor that have been tested to be compatible with the motherboard:

• TDP: up to 65 W
  • Socket type: AM4
  • Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
    Processor
    TDP
    AMD Ryzen7-1700 (Summit Ridge) 3.0 GHz, 8 cores/16 threads
    65 W
    AMD Ryzen5-1600 (Summit Ridge) 3.2 GHz, 6 cores/12 threads
    65 W
    AMD Ryzen5-1400 (Summit Ridge) 3.2 GHz, 4 cores/8 threads
    65 W
    AMD Ryzen3-1200 (Summit Ridge) 3.1 GHz, 4 cores/4 threads
    65 W

As you can see, the Ryzen 7 2700 w/65W TDP is not on the list.  This means it may or may not work.  There is no guaranty.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended
Well the AMD Ryzen 2000 series came out after the board. I know a BIOS update can sometimes make it compatible but not sure on this one.
It is a AM4+ not AM4
Never hurts to check it out
HP Recommended

Ive asked this before on upgrading from first gen ryzen to second gen on an HP AMD mobo.

I was informed that unless a bios update was created to do so, it wont work. HP wont be setting up bios fixes for such an upgrade as they were not intended to be upgraded.

HP Recommended
Well the Ryzen 7 1700 is a really nice processor anyways and that's the plan.
If no BIOS update for gen 2 planned not a big deal IMO.
Theirs hardware upgrades for that if necessary.
HP Recommended
Normally I'd build my own but this system was a great deal and I have always liked HP products. I know this particular PC is extremely upgradable so I'm going to Max it out at some point.
HP Recommended
Photoray002 I have seen tons of other b350 MoBo's that are writing BIOS upgrades to accept Ryzen's 2nd gen APU's.
Im almost positive that the basewood MoBo is a b350.
There are video outputs on the board which makes me think they could make it compatible since they knew 1st Gen Ryzen didn't have integrated graphics.
Hopefully HP will reconsider.
HP Recommended

Im sure they could, but I doubt they will because HP does not make enthusiast diy builds. They are guaranteed to work as assembled from factory, thats it. IF you want a 2nd gen cpu from HP, you would have to buy one with it already in it.

Not sure how else to put it, but I think you get my drift.

:generic:

HP Recommended
2nd gen came out just a few months after I got this PC.
Not a big deal. It will be a fine PC for a long time to come but I'm going to have to go back to building my own in the future I think.
Still wonder why they have video outputs to a 1st Gen Ryzen. That parts a mystery.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.