Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 870-224
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I really want to upgrade the GPU on my HP Omen 870-224 to this card. 

www.newegg.com/zotac-geforce-gtx-1060-zt-p10620a-10m/p/N82E16814500454?Description=gtx%201060%206gb&...

Will it work? I'm also looking to upgrade my CPU to the i7 7700, and I want to make sure those two parts won't conflict with eachother/anything else in my desktop.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello @KMSane 

Yes the i7 7700 (non K) will work just fine. That graphics card will technically work also. You always want to measure the space inside your case and make sure there will be enough length space to meet the physical specs of the card, just to be safe.

But you're not gaining much by purchasing one 1060 for another, just to gain 3 more GBs of vram.

IF I were going to shell out some money for a card, I would go with something more powerful and/or newer.

A RTX 2060 or even a GTX 1070 would be more worth it to me.

An SSD would make the whole PC much more responsive also.

Just my opinion.

HP Recommended

I am looking into upgrading my cpu as well. Will i have to do a bios update if I am going to be using the i7-7700?

HP Recommended

As far as I know, No. The motherboard specs show that the i7 7700 is already compatible and was shipped with the 7700's at launch. A bios update shouldn't be necessary for that.

The main reason for most of HPs bios updates are mostly for Security upgrades and a few other odd fixes.

If you wish to not do a bios update for fear of possibly bricking the motherboard, I don't blame you.

I would try it first without doing so. You should be fine.

HP Recommended

What exact 1080 to rtx 2070 well fit the hp omen 870-224 and do I need to delete anything before removing and installing new Gpu

HP Recommended

Remember what I said in my first post? You need to look up the measurements of the new card, then take a tape measure and measure the space where it will sit. If the length is available, you will be good to go.

Driver installation. Depends on what version of the NVIDIA driver is currently installed.

If you want to be on the safe side,  do a clean install, just in case you have an old driver from HP...

Install DDU driver uninstaller and use it to uninstall the driver.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Then install the latest directly from NVIDIA. 

Then install the new card.

HP Recommended

How can I know which graphics cards are compatible with my motherboard? I have a hp omen 870-224. I am looking to upgrade to ssd storage and a slightly getter gpu without breaking the bank.  $350 is my budgets and installing myself. Any ideas to get the most bang for 350 bucks? Thanks 

HP Recommended

@Hsog

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

After reading your post, I did go through the Product specifications of your product and found that you have NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (3 GB) drive installed on the PC.

NOTE: HP does not recommend upgrading or downgrading hardware parts or software that is bundled with the product as It may affect the manufacturer's warranty and performance, however, you could change the configuration at your own discretion.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.