Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Pavilion

Hi there,

I bought a HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop PC with the following specs.. I am wondering if this system will allow me to upgrade the GPU to an NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2070 Super or similar. 

I am unsure if the power supply will be sufficient or if I will even be able to connect the new GPU?

Processor: Intel i7-9700 @ 3GHZ (4.7GHZ with automatic overclock)

Memory: 16GB DDR4

GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Super

HP 'Sunflower' Motherboard with 400 Watt Platinum PSU

Thanks in advance,

Mike 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes measure physically the distance, to make sure there will be no obstructions also the highlight of the new card that you are planning to use. In my specific situation I am using ASUS RTX 2070 Dual Mini, and it fits perfectly, but I know that some Zotac SKUs are also possible to fit in the case. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Your major concern would be the size of that 2070Super, it has to fit in the case. Just google HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop and you will see a lot of my videos, where I upgraded the CPU, Memory, Cooling solution and GPU, to 2060 and to 2070. 

With the RTX 2070 and I7 9700F in my case, and the same 400W PSU, the power draw at the wall is no more then 270w, so the PSU is enough for this hardware. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply! I will check out your videos. 

The current GPU (GTX 1660 Super) comes in at 9 inches x 4.4 x 1.4, where as the RTX 2070 Super comes in at 10.5 x 4.6 x 1.4 - so there doesn't seem to be too much in it. I'll double check if the case can accommodate the extra length, but great to know that the PSU is sufficient. A lot of forums are saying I would need a minimum of 500W and ideally 600+! 

HP Recommended

Yes measure physically the distance, to make sure there will be no obstructions also the highlight of the new card that you are planning to use. In my specific situation I am using ASUS RTX 2070 Dual Mini, and it fits perfectly, but I know that some Zotac SKUs are also possible to fit in the case. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.