Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
750-170se

Hello I have a 750-170se desktop with a 6700k 4.0 Hz processor and gtx 970 graphics card and I want to upgrade to a 7700k processor. However after much research apparently HP has not released any bios update in order to allow for this upgrade eventhough the motherboard and chipset is compatible (I think). 

So the only option I am left with is to buy a compataible motherboard and replace the existing motherboard with it.

Apparently this desktp contains this motherboard:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-750-100-desktop-pc-series/8499646/model/8501668/documen...

My questions is, will my desktop be compatable with a motherboard upgrade like this and does HP allow for an upgrade like this? What are the consqeuences? How should I go about doing this? 

I know the cpu upgrade is marginal but I really want to do this so I can use the 6700k on another computer. 

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings computernoob111,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not an HP employee.

The consequences:

HP will not support your PC if you change the motherboard.

You are correct. The Z170 chipset will support the i7 7700k if the OEM updates the BIOS microcode.

The HP chassis may have some proprietary front panel connectors that may not work with a retail motherboard.

You may lose front panel: USB, card reader, and audio input/output. There are cases where problems occur with the power switch, power LED, and HDD LED.

What to do to get this done:

You have two options:

1. You can try this upgrade if you are comfortable with working inside the PC's chassis,

2. Have a local PC technician do the work.

Why don't you build a new Z270 PC?

Install a 7700K in the new PC. Don't mess with the HP PC.

Less hassle. Now you have two PCs that work correctly.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks for the tips.

So I am planning to buy the 7700k with an applicable motherboard. Is there any particular motherboard that would work with the casing or would I need to buy my own case as well. I'd like to minimize the amount of parts that I want to purchase. At the most I just want to buy the CPU, Motherboard, and a new case if applicable. Those would be the only things I really need correct?

For example I am looking at this motherboard (http://www.microcenter.com/product/474089/GA-Z270XP-SLI_LGA_1151_ATX_Intel_Motherboard).

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi

You're very welcome.

My advice is to let the HP PC as it is. Buy a new mid-tower PC chassis. The mid-tower chassis will accept an ATX motherboard. Check the specs on the new chassis to verify an ATX MB will work.

The Gigabyte motherboard is an ATX MB. This MB will not work in the HP uATX chassis (the MB is too big).

You may have to buy RAM unless you have some spare RAM sticks available.

You will also need a power supply and a CPU: heatsink/fan or an AIO closed loop liquid cooling system.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.