Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen X 900 - 0XX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey guys

just a quick question, had my omen x for 4 years now and it’s awesome but just wondering if I wanted to upgrade to a 3090 which other parts would I need please?

does HP have a system scanner or something similar which tells you compatible parts like RAM, CPU etc please?

i think my case is more than big enough but don’t know about my motherboard/CPU etc

thanks for any info 

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@BadMonk,

In order to assess your computer,  please specify what hardware. See here. PSU wattage ?

The computer supports power supplies that follow the ATX standard with a maximum of 1450 W

Guide, as shown here.

How long is the current GPU card, and is there any extra space ?

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. 0FB28E65-CDB8-4DAC-862B-189C36BD30C2.jpeg

HP Recommended

PSU 1300W

HP Recommended

If you want a 3090 you would best just completely rebuild your system yourself. The CPU would bottleneck the GPU along with those ram speeds not helping anything if you tried to just put in a 3090. It would be a huge waste.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply Yobo.

yeah I was thinking about upgrading as like you said would prob be bottlenecked by CPU. 
The case is have is massive so def enough room,.

the ram I have now is only 2133mhz can I use 4400mhz, I went and checked on a web site and it said it was fine with my system but don’t know if it’s mobo/cpu dependant?

also would this faster RAM benefit me please?

sorry for all the questions 😊

HP Recommended

Hello
To answer precisely, or at best in any case, you need the exact model.
it depends on the motherboard
For example if it was this model:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-x-by-hp-desktop-pc-900-000i/12079701/document/c05258881

• Dual channel (2 DIMMs per channel) memory architecture
  • Four DDR4 UDIMM (288-pin) sockets
  • Supports PC4-17000 (DDR4-2133)
  • Supports 8 GB UDIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems
    note:
    32-bit systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.
  • Supports up to 32 GB (unbuffered) on 64-bit computers

Now this is a machine with great potential, changing everything to a graphics card, whereas the original computer was supposed to have a certain cost, I don't think that is the best answer.
you might as well resell the machine, and move towards a custom-made pc if needed to upgrade it later
Most PC manufacturers, remain limited on this side, there is always something blocking
You have a gtx 1080, try the rtx 2000 range, why not a sli if it is possible to find the same card

with a pretty good processor, this should be more than enough for a while

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-x-by-hp-desktop-pc-900-000i/12079701/document/c05320162

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi!

thanks so much for the reply. I posted the specs for my system just above. My PC is awesome, just I do a lot of CG work and SLI I don’t think is that great any more. So I was looking to upgrade my GPU.

do you know which one my system could take please? Or point me in the right direction?

HP Recommended

Yes, but that does not give the exact model of the computer.
With the SSID we can guess the model of the motherboard, would be the one indicated, but it does not go further ..
For the map there are so many references that you have to make a choice.
But from what we know I think a rtx 2070/2080 should work

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Ahhh sorry my model number is -

900-087na

tbh it’s still an fantastic computer, prob me just being greedy wanting the latest GPU. 
thank you for replying. I prob won’t upgrade, just was curious if it would be faster for my rendering work etc 

I use after effects and blender mainly. 

Do you think my system as it is now would run an RTX 2080 Ti please?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.