Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Microtower 6000 Pro
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I need some help with my PSU, this is my first time attempting to do this and 

I've done much research on whether I even can upgrade it. Some are saying I can when others are saying I cant. Anyways, what I have now is a 320W PSU, Model NO: PS-4321-9HA , and I would like to upgrade it so it would support my MSI Radeon r7 260x, around 400-500W. I've also ran into the idea of the motherboard not being compatible either although I'm asking now so I dont mess up later. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 9650 3.0 gHz

Memory: 4gb of DDR3 Non-ECC unbuffered RAM (upgrading later on to 8gb)

GPU: Radeon r7 260x OC 2gb

Mobo: HP Stock Mobo (don't know the name of it and unable to find model no.)

HDD: 275 Gb

*******I am a college student and yes I am in debt,lol,  I cannot afford to buy nothing other than one power supply, also, not looking to play any high end games with this, mostly just Overwatch, COD WAW, Gmod, and Fortnite.**************

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @JafarM

The problem is the 6000 Pro is an HP Enterprise grade PC, not consumer issue. So things are set up differently on it.

One being the PSU is a BTX form factor, not ATX like consumers. It will use proprietary wire connections to the mobo for setup for HP. HP does not give out those wiring configs.

You can look for adapters that some third party seller claims to work, but I would not put faith in that stuff. Especially where you are a poor college student and this is your only machine, you cant afford to fry it.

If you want, you can also ask on the HP Business section, where your model is more supported. They might know more than I do.

Here is the link...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/bd-p/Business-PC-W...

Good luck. 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @JafarM

The problem is the 6000 Pro is an HP Enterprise grade PC, not consumer issue. So things are set up differently on it.

One being the PSU is a BTX form factor, not ATX like consumers. It will use proprietary wire connections to the mobo for setup for HP. HP does not give out those wiring configs.

You can look for adapters that some third party seller claims to work, but I would not put faith in that stuff. Especially where you are a poor college student and this is your only machine, you cant afford to fry it.

If you want, you can also ask on the HP Business section, where your model is more supported. They might know more than I do.

Here is the link...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/bd-p/Business-PC-W...

Good luck. 🙂

HP Recommended
Really?? Oh no! Is it possible to connect an external power supply? How much risk am i taking if i use an adapter of some sort? Because the only problem is the GPU not being powered enough. Otherwise, thanks for your knowledge. 🙂
HP Recommended

I've heard of it being done, but no guarantees. When you have two PSUs in the same path,  It might damage something.

Do so at your own risk.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.