Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Desktop PC 875-0020rz
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I recently purchased this gaming desktop and wanted to upgrade my RAM. I installed 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2666 MHz (16-18-18-35), I was satisfied up until a day or two after I installed them. The first couple of days it worked fine, but as soon as I got into some more demanding applications I would get BSoD, including MEMORY_MANAGEMENT and another was IRQL_NOT_LESSS_OR_EQUAL. I double checked drivers (NVIDIA drivers in particular). Was still getting BSoD and experiencing lock ups/freezing.

My PC came with 1x8GB HyperX Fury 2666 MHz (not sure of the timing because I had to put it back in to get things to stop crashing and locking up). I spent some time with Tech Support, but all I got was that I can max at 32GB (1x8GB, 2x8GB, etc.) and additional specs were PC4-21300 (which correlates to 2666MHz? or is that something completely different?). Am I completely missing something? (Probably)

Is this a hardware mismatch issue or is it something like the timing that is causing issues? Forgive my ignorance as I am new to this. I didn't get any  brand limitations from tech support. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Z

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@beaverhusker , welcome to the forum.

@beaverhusker wrote:

Hello, I recently purchased this gaming desktop and wanted to upgrade my RAM. I installed 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2666 MHz (16-18-18-35), I was satisfied up until a day or two after I installed them. The first couple of days it worked fine, but as soon as I got into some more demanding applications I would get BSoD, including MEMORY_MANAGEMENT and another was IRQL_NOT_LESSS_OR_EQUAL. I double checked drivers (NVIDIA drivers in particular). Was still getting BSoD and experiencing lock ups/freezing.

My PC came with 1x8GB HyperX Fury 2666 MHz (not sure of the timing because I had to put it back in to get things to stop crashing and locking up).  You can check the manufacturer and timings of your current memory using CPU-Z: https://download.cnet.com/CPU-Z/3000-2086_4-10050423.html

I spent some time with Tech Support, but all I got was that I can max at 32GB (1x8GB, 2x8GB, etc.) and additional specs were PC4-21300 (which correlates to 2666MHz? or is that something completely different?). Am I completely missing something? (Probably)  No, you are correct.  Here is the Product Specifications page for the computer:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-875-0000-obelisk-desktop-pc-series/23302709/model/23...

Look at the section titled "Memory/Memory upgrade information" for the specifications of the memory.

Is this a hardware mismatch issue or is it something like the timing that is causing issues? Forgive my ignorance as I am new to this. I didn't get any  brand limitations from tech support. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  There is no such thing as ignorance on these Forums.  We all had to learn some way.  It could be a problem with motherboard compatibility.  HP has their motherboards made to their specifications.  Therefore, they are not necessarily the same as a retail board.  I suggest that you contact Corsair's Tech Support to see what they have to say.  They are the experts on their products.  I have always found them to be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Z

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Thanks @Old_geekster.

I wasn't able to sleep last night so I scoured the Web for a good 2 hours. It's becoming more apparent that the HP Moria B2450 Mobo that I have is probably not compatible. I am going to give Corsair a call rather than assuming, but I did go to Crucial's website and there was a compatibility guarantee if purchased through them so I sent out for 2x8GB sticks.

This is my first real desktop so the RGB lighting on the Corsairs was pretty appealing. Couldn't find much for RGB so I went with all white sticks to reflect some of the tower lighting it came with.

It's proved to be really difficult finding what works with that motherboard and I am almost regretting not knowing some of this prior to buying. The specs are super generic and more often than not it seems like the RAM options I find appealing aren't compatible. HP support wouldn't provide recommendations for upgrading which makes me also wonder if Sales would have been a better place to start.

Appreciate the help! I'll report back with what I hear from Corsair.

Z

HP Recommended

Corsair tech support was awesome and very helpful, but was a no go as far as compatibility.

I called HP Support and we started talking about returning my PC and ordering something that they've built more recently and with more compatibility options (I've only had this PC for a little over a week so I was all for it), but they were going to charge me a restocking fee rather than waving that and allowing me to give them more money for a new model - a little greedy if you ask me, but maybe they are strapped for cash at the moment. I'll be trying out the 2x8GB White Ballistix, mainly because of the compatibility guarantee from Crucial.

If that doesn't work, I am going to have to settle on the HyperX Fury just because that's what it came with initially. I was hoping I would have more freedom as far as upgrading different components, but this computer is locked down pretty tightly in terms of what options I have to upgrade. Obviously it's still "upgradable" in that I can add more than what it came with, but that really seems to be the extent of it. I feel slightly mislead but I take partial responsibility for not doing my research and letting my excitement get the best of me.

Thanks again - I'll be posting for some graphics recommendations here soon.

Z

HP Recommended

@beaverhusker, I hear what you are saying and fully understand your frustration!  HP is an OEM manufacturer.  They make computers for the masses.  Therefore, they have to keep things simple.  I have always been told that you write instructions for the least knowledge person who reads them.  It is the same with computers.  Most people, not you and me, just want to push the power button and go about their tasks.  Also, HP sells millions of computers every year.  It would impossible for them to let every person who wants to return a computer, do so.  They can't sell used computers.  If you have any problems with your Crucial memory, contact their Tech Support for help.  They have always been very helpful when I have contacted them.  The LED's look great, but I will be honest with you!  I have a lot of them in my custom build (See my signature below.) and they don't make the computer go any faster. 😉

HP Recommended

Got my Ballistix today, so far no issues and the white looks pretty sharp. Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic with no issues (I didn't get any issues with the Corsairs either though).

Any recommendations for testing so I have some peace of mind? Obviously the true test will be using my PC the way I want and looking out for any issues, but if anyone has any advice so I can be proactive it would be greatly appreciated.

Ballistix.jpg

HP Recommended

@beaverhusker, I am glad that things appear to be working.  You are absolutely correct!  The best way to test the memory is to use it.  If the diagnostics didn't find problems, I believe you are safe.  If you have problems contact Crucial's Tech Support for help.  I have used them several times with great results.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.