Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
hp pavilion 690-0024
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Does the motherboard support 2 x 16GB of DDR 288 PIN RAM? I read on Best Buy's website that the HP team said yes for this particular model of pc. However, the upgrade information for the motherboard was rather vauge on this subject. I'm guessnig it's saying it does with a 64 bit OS but I'm trying to get clarification. Also would what be a good recommendation on which brand to use?

Thanks in advance.. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello again @Staticj 

Ive still not recieved an answer to the other question about allocation. I probably never will.

As for how much ram can be installed, yes the specs are confusing.

In the Maintenance Manual HP states 4 or 8 GB UDIMMS can be used, up to 32 GB total for 64bit systems.

What they mean is, HP has tested and sells this series with up to 16 (2x8)GB total. But they are stating the motherboard could use up to 32 or 2x16 UDIMMs for a max of 32 GB total.

Yes I also see where an HP Rep has commented on the Best Buy comments.

Crucial specifically sells 16 GB moduals for that model so I am confident the motherboard will handle it.

Know that AMD has been known to be more finicky about what ram it will accept than Intel is. Make sure what ever ram you buy, states it is AMD/RYZEN compatible to avoid possible issues.

I have had good luck recommending Crucial ram. They guarantee it to work or your money back. Here is the link if you want to take a look... https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP---Compaq/pavilion-690-0024

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello again @Staticj 

Ive still not recieved an answer to the other question about allocation. I probably never will.

In the Maintenance Manual HP states 4 or 8 GB UDIMMS can be used, up to 32 GB total for 64bit systems.

What they mean is, HP has tested and sells this series with up to 16 (2x8)GB total. But they are stating the motherboard could use up to 32 or 2x16 UDIMMs for a max of 32 GB total.

Crucial specifically sells 16 GB moduals for that model so I am confident the motherboard will handle it.

Know that AMD has been known to be more finicky about what ram it will accept than Intel is. Make sure what ever ram you buy, states it is AMD/RYZEN compatible to avoid possible issues.

I have had good luck recommending Crucial ram. They guarantee it to work or your money back. Here is the link if you want to take a look... https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP---Compaq/pavilion-690-0024

HP Recommended

@Photoray002 wrote:

Hello again @Staticj 

Thank you for the insightful reply. I found it useful and I'm sure others will as well. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.