Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
McBro
4 4 0 1
Message 21 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm planning to get a 7700K too. Did this ever work out for you? Because you never got back to anyone on this thread

0 Kudos
INTER18
3 3 0 0
Message 22 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

On this motherboard that comes with the Pc works with the 7700k

0 Kudos
McBro
4 4 0 1
Message 23 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Follow up on my upgrade: i installed the i7 7700k and its been working very well with no issues. Just a heads  up to anyone interested in doing this: You will need a new CPU cooler, the stock one will be too weak. I also upgraded the power supply to be safe (and because I replaced the GTX 1060 with a RTX 2060 Super). Afterwards I've had absolutely no issues. Great performance and no CPU bottleneck anymore. Easily hitting 120+ FPS in most games @ High Settings. Turned out great 😁 

krzemien
Level 7
731 713 31 171
Message 24 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your update.

Which CPU cooler has worked for you? - I thought that coolers that HP supply are non-standard ones and I'm forced to consider i5-6400 -> i7-6700 upgrade only (so non-K version)?

0 Kudos
McBro
4 4 0 1
Message 25 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

With some slight case modding I got a Corsair H60 cooler to fit (I would not recommend doing this). A better choice is probably a Cooler Master Evo 212, it should fit without any extra work.

0 Kudos
krzemien
Level 7
731 713 31 171
Message 26 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Many thanks again - will consider this carefully.

I won't be doing any case mods - that's for sure - hence originally settling for i7-6700 (only when opportunity arises, they stubbornly remain expensive), as it uses the same cooler and its assembly as i5-6400 (according to the HP spec).

Under circumstances potential upgrade to i7-6700K is tempting, obviously, but Cooler Master Evo 212 with its sheer size seems rather scary a hell of a tower to me - that needs to fit in either.

In either case: Food for thoughts.

0 Kudos
McBro
4 4 0 1
Message 27 of 27
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yeah, checking the size is important. If you're unsure just get a ruler or tape measure to see how much space you've got to work with, then check the cooler's size online. 

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation