Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I'm planning to get a 7700K too. Did this ever work out for you? Because you never got back to anyone on this thread

HP Recommended

On this motherboard that comes with the Pc works with the 7700k

HP Recommended

Follow up on my upgrade: i installed the i7 7700k and its been working very well with no issues. Just a heads  up to anyone interested in doing this: You will need a new CPU cooler, the stock one will be too weak. I also upgraded the power supply to be safe (and because I replaced the GTX 1060 with a RTX 2060 Super). Afterwards I've had absolutely no issues. Great performance and no CPU bottleneck anymore. Easily hitting 120+ FPS in most games @ High Settings. Turned out great 😁 

HP Recommended

Thanks for your update.

Which CPU cooler has worked for you? - I thought that coolers that HP supply are non-standard ones and I'm forced to consider i5-6400 -> i7-6700 upgrade only (so non-K version)?

HP Recommended

With some slight case modding I got a Corsair H60 cooler to fit (I would not recommend doing this). A better choice is probably a Cooler Master Evo 212, it should fit without any extra work.

HP Recommended

Many thanks again - will consider this carefully.

I won't be doing any case mods - that's for sure - hence originally settling for i7-6700 (only when opportunity arises, they stubbornly remain expensive), as it uses the same cooler and its assembly as i5-6400 (according to the HP spec).

Under circumstances potential upgrade to i7-6700K is tempting, obviously, but Cooler Master Evo 212 with its sheer size seems rather scary a hell of a tower to me - that needs to fit in either.

In either case: Food for thoughts.

HP Recommended

Yeah, checking the size is important. If you're unsure just get a ruler or tape measure to see how much space you've got to work with, then check the cooler's size online. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.