Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Yep looks like motherboard will work with the 7700k. I’m going to go with that considering it’s only a few bucks more. I think most people go too big on the psu so hopefully this one will work.
HP Recommended

Hi Nj54880

Sorry to have provided incorrect information based on HP documentation.

Your current power supply should be fine.

I agree, oversizing the power supply is a waste of money, consumes more power to run the system, and is not the green thing to do.

Test results (at the AC power source) using the same components except for the power supply reflect excess power draw when you swap in a higher wattage power supply. This even occurs at idle.

Tom

HP Recommended

Looking at getting the same processor you purchased for the same comp.  Did this processor work for you?

HP Recommended
I ended up finding a deal on a motherboard/processor bundle so I bought that instead so I built a new pc. But yes the k series will work with this motherboard but it just can’t overclock. Looks like the 500w power supply will be plenty as well
HP Recommended

So I have the same problem I'm trying to stream but some games take a bit to load in so I'm trying to upgrade my processor but my PC is a OMEN 870-2xx so which processor would be right for PC?

HP Recommended
17-7700 or i7-7700k either will work. I suggest the k series because it’s only $20 more and has a higher base clock
HP Recommended

Hi i know this is a late response and i have no clue if you will respond. But im kinda worried. I already ordered the i7 7700K and i really hope it will work for the exact same computer that you have the omen 870-224 did you ever go through with getting this cpu if not i need to cancel the order and get the normal 7700 also im worried because on this website with the pc it shows the motherboard to have a max TDP: Up to 65 W  https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-870-200/13687063/model/15741160/document/c05389962 but when i google the motherboard it shows to have a max of 91 TDP https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05355651

HP Recommended
No I never did end up getting that cpu with that motherboard. I got a good deal on Black Friday for processor/mobo combo so I ended up building my own pc. Most of us think that the 7700k will work though based on the specs given to the motherboard itself. I think they put out faulty info when giving the pc specs. I think you should try the 7700k and see what happens so we can put this to rest.
HP Recommended

I will for sure let you guys know in about 3-4 days!!!! 

HP Recommended
So did it work? I would love to know this information.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.