1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Upgrading graphics card

Compaq Elite 8300 Microtower
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

So I'm currently using a GTX 750 graphics card, which is an old generation, and as I often use my computer for gaming, I'd like to invest some money for an upgrade.

The issue is, I bought this PC years ago, and I was talking to a tech guy I know, and he told me HP computers have a special brand of power supplier that won't work with the graphics card I want to buy - which is the GTX 1050ti .

I looked through gaming forums, and from what I was told, HP computers have a certain type of PSU that can't support 6-pin PCIe power connector. Meaning I just need to avoid buying a graphics card that requires that. 

I found this version of the 1050ti on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Support-Graphics-04G-P4-6253-KR/dp/B01MF7EQJZ/ref=sr_1_1?s=elect...

In the reviews, someone said that the card does not require a 6/4-pin connector and runs entirely off the Mobo.

Here are the specifications of the 1050ti:

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-1050-ti/specifications

I was also told in the forums that since I'm already using a 60W card (the 750), my PC shouldn't have a problem with running a 75W card like the 1050ti. 

So I would like to know, based on this information, if I'm safe to buy that 1050ti off Amazon and if it will be compatible with my Compaq Elite 8300 Microtower.

Thanks in advance! :generic:

2 REPLIES 2
Level 15
Level 15
21,885 21,512 2,483 8,252
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Upgrading graphics card

@Yoavier, welcome to the forum.

The specs on the card here, state that it requires a power supply unit (PSU) with a minimum of 300W:

Requirements

• Minimum of a 300 Watt power supply.
  • Total Power Draw : 75 Watts

I suggest that you contact EVGA's Tech Support to see what they can tell you.  Thery are the experts on their cards.  I don't want to tell you that it will work and it doesn't.  The sellers pay shipping to you, but you pay to return it.  You will save yourself some frustration.

There was a time when it was easy to recommend video cards.  However, with the change to UEFI and the speed with which technology is progressing, it is more and more difficult to say for certain that a card will work.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

-----------------------------------------
Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

Custom build: Corsair 750D Airflow (Full Tower); MSI MEG z390 ACE; i9-9900K processor (OC'd 5.025); Corsair H150i cooler; 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 memory; MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio video card; Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB; Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Level 2
13 13 0 4
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Upgrading graphics card

You are correct in that the GTX 1050ti does not require an additional power plug. At 75W, it is powered entirely by the PCIe slot. That being said, it looks like your computer comes with a 320W PSU. The GTX 1050ti requires at least a 300W PSU. So, while your PSU can technically support the 1050, I dont know that I would. Doesnt give you much head room.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation