Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
hp OMEN X 900-00nx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello ,

Im planing to do some upgrades on my stock hp OMEN X 900-000nx gaming PC.

https://support.hp.com/ie-en/document/c05267158

Im going for a new mATX motherboard , powersuply and RTX 2080ti .
I would like to know about the front LED, which standard does it follow ?   the pins ? and pin configuration ?
Is it possibleI to plug the front led directly to a motherboeard that supports  ASUS AURA or msi Mystic Light sync ?  or is this some hp exlusive plug that wont be useful anywhere else but on that pathetic Munich-S motherboard .

Thank you .

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

This is a hard one to answer without having the pc in front of me. Looking at the motherboard, I dont see a dedicated RGB socket. Ive seen that some HP models use a USB 2.0 header for the RGB. On the other hand, my OMEN 870-244 had a dedicated 4 pin socket on the motherboard. If the RGB plug looks like the one below, you should be able to plug it in, but t chances are you will still have to control it with omen command center.

imagesCZ2CRF81.jpg20130108100846645.jpg

EDIT: Reattached a couple of photos, hope they worked for you. If not, not sure why they arent, they are showing up for me. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the repaly I dont see the image just a jelow triangle  , can you please re-upload the image I really am interested about the socket and how it looks like . 

Best! 

HP Recommended

Images wont appear immediately. Its a Server security feature.

When approved, they will appear withing a few hours.

HP Recommended

gotcha!

will have to digg in my Omen cube and inspect the motherboard to se where and how the front panel is connected I pary it is not some USB thing but proper standard 4 pin plug , Thanks! 

HP Recommended

Let us know what you find. I haven't had the OMEN X in my hands yet.

I know HP used to sell just the case only for DIYers when that design first came out. Its one of the few HP cases that used standard mobo connectors, not proprietary. I'm sure all the later model cases are still the same also.

HP Recommended

I did open my cube before, I installed an audio card but at that time, I wasn’t really interested to pay attention about the RGB front Led.

I did removed the front cover where the RGB LED is when I did some maintaining , dust cleaning  and it is interconnected to a sort of small plug  can’t remember how many pins  to a connector between the motherboard and the front LED cover over the OMEN chassis . 
Now I have to follow from the chassis connection point to the motherboard and find out whatever it is.

I hoped that someone from hp could shade some light or give some technical explanation about theFront LED ,type of connectors and if they are compatible with other RGB motherboard connections .

Thanks people! 

HP Recommended

Ok, based on what you said about another "plug" on the chassis between the rgb and the motherboard, Photoray002's statement about the case being sold seperately with RGB (thank you), and what I can find for the motherboard, I would say the case has an RGB control unit in the chassis to control the lighting. From the pictures I can find, looks like there are 2 USB 2.0 headers on the board. One might be used for the front panel (though I couldnt find a model with usb 2.0 on the front) and the other is probably for the RGB module. That said, 99% chance its a USB 2.0 plug. So, you can use it on another motherboard as long as it has internal USB 2.0 headers. Youd will need the OMEN Command software to use it. I would still try to find where it is plugged in and see what it is though. Please let me know what you find, I am interested myself now!

HP Recommended

Basically there is something like front USB ports but in this case they are on the side as the side is 45 degree so on that lets call it front there are 2 USB + 2 USB-C connectors and additionally one headphone and mick plug .
On the back there are 6 USB 3.0  ports ,  honestly it wouldn’t really bother me If I have the new mobo like msi or asus and the front panel operates on internal USB plug , too bad though I wouldn’t be able to use the AURA or Mystic potential of the motherboard but better to have it somehow operational then completely dark .
Now it comes to my attention that in-between plug!  Maybe I could just bypass it and make an extension cable but to do so I have to know some technical specifications of how the RGB LED is designed to operate and I can’t find anything about it .
Is the RGB LED controlled by the motherboard or as  you suggest over USB internal plug and has its own controller ?  
I don’t really want to deep-fry my motherboard or the led panel.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.