Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN Obelisk Desktop PC - 875 - 1040st
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought the OMEN Obelisk around mid May, and I recently purchased a kit of 2 sticks of 8GB 3200MHz ram from HyperX. I plan on using this to replace the included 1 stick of 8GB 2666MHz ram from HyperX. The sticks should be identical other than the increased MHz that I bought mine at. I am just trying to make sure that the motherboard will be able to handle the 3200MHz ram I bought since the base ram only runs at 2666MHz.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Hogue,

I can only tell you that Crucial rates performance with 3200 and 3600's. 

You do realize that RAM is specific to a computer model?

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Hogue,

I can only tell you that Crucial rates performance with 3200 and 3600's. 

You do realize that RAM is specific to a computer model?

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

@Wb2001,

So if I were to remove the provided 2666MHz 8GB stick before I booted the pc up, and replace it with my 2 sticks of 3200MHz 8GB RAM, would the pc actually be able to fully utilize the 3200MHz, or would it be bottlenecked by the HP motherboard?

HP Recommended

Hi, @Hogue 

The fastest speed any of the supported processors that come with that model series can run the memory at is limited to 2666 MHz.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06385121

Let's just take the best one for example...the Intel Core i9-9900K.

Here are the specs on the processor from Intel...you can see that the supported memory type is 2666 MHz.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/186605/intel-core-i9-9900k-processor-16m-cache-...

If you install 3200 MHz memory, it will 'downclock' or 'bridge' to 2666 Mhz.

HP Recommended

Thank you for clearing that up for me! I was not previously aware that memory capabilites were limited by the CPU as well.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, the chipset/CPU are equal factors in how fast the memory can run.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.