Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 880-010
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. I am here to ask if it is possible to upgrade my CPU from my Ryzen 5 1400 4 core 8 thread processor, to my newly purchased Ryzen 5 2600x 6 core 12 thread processor. I was excited to buy this CPU as it will be my first major upgrade in this build, and the CPU just arrived at my house today. I was planning on getting it installed professionally, but also before I spent the money on that, make sure there wasn't an extra step I needed to do. If there wasn't, I was gonna install it on my own. So i did some research, and to my fear I am seeing that this CPU isn't compatible with the motherboard or something. I don't know, and I might still see if I can get it installed and see if they say anything about it, but I wanted to check here. IS it okay to install this CPU in my rig? It will be a big let down to hear I can't and will have to return this product (or save up for a new motherboard), but I need the truth so I can know before I try an install this and waste my time to my PC not booting up after.

Thank you for reading, and hopefully someone can send me a BIOS update that may make this compatible, or if it is even possible at all.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @ItsCoke 

Unfortunately no, you cannot upgrade to a Zen+ or Zen 2.

HP did not make a bios update for that kind of upgrade.

These are the only cpus that will work...

Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
Processor
TDP
AMD Ryzen7-1800X (Summit Ridge) 3.6 GHz, 8 cores/16 threads
95 W
AMD Ryzen7-1700 (Summit Ridge) 3.0 GHz, 8 cores/16 threads
65 W
AMD Ryzen5-1600 (Summit Ridge) 3.2 GHz, 6 cores/12 threads
65 W
AMD Ryzen5-1400 (Summit Ridge) 3.2 GHz, 4 cores/8 threads
65 W

and the 1700X 95 W.

But the 95 W CPU's would require a different heat sink than the stock sink you have now.

HP only sells the 880's that use a 95W cpu with an AIO liquid cooler.

Return or upgrade the motherboard? That's up to you. Wouldn't make sense to buy a new PC, only to have to pay for a brand new motherboard, CPU and Heat Sink right after. Plus you will definitely want to upgrade to an M.2 SSD and bump the ram up to 16GB for gaming. Just my opinion.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @ItsCoke 

Unfortunately no, you cannot upgrade to a Zen+ or Zen 2.

HP did not make a bios update for that kind of upgrade.

These are the only cpus that will work...

Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
Processor
TDP
AMD Ryzen7-1800X (Summit Ridge) 3.6 GHz, 8 cores/16 threads
95 W
AMD Ryzen7-1700 (Summit Ridge) 3.0 GHz, 8 cores/16 threads
65 W
AMD Ryzen5-1600 (Summit Ridge) 3.2 GHz, 6 cores/12 threads
65 W
AMD Ryzen5-1400 (Summit Ridge) 3.2 GHz, 4 cores/8 threads
65 W

and the 1700X 95 W.

But the 95 W CPU's would require a different heat sink than the stock sink you have now.

HP only sells the 880's that use a 95W cpu with an AIO liquid cooler.

Return or upgrade the motherboard? That's up to you. Wouldn't make sense to buy a new PC, only to have to pay for a brand new motherboard, CPU and Heat Sink right after. Plus you will definitely want to upgrade to an M.2 SSD and bump the ram up to 16GB for gaming. Just my opinion.

HP Recommended

Alrighty, thank you. Yes I have upgraded the RAM and I have installed an SSD already, but I will just get a new motherboard. Again, thank you for letting me know.

HP Recommended

OK then. You will need a new activation key to install Windows onto that new motherboard also.

Good luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.