Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 880-058
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am looking to upgrade my HP Omen 880-058 right now I have the following specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 1400

16GB ram @ 2400 MHz (just purchased new ram that will go to 3000MHz--not sure if that will even work with my MB)

GeForce GTX 1070

Now, I want to upgrade the processor and it says that it will go up to an 7-1800x, which I am assuming is the BEST I CAN GO. Has anybody done this upgrade? If so, is it worth it? Also, I see that there are issues installing a fan on the processor..any recommendations for a fan for the 1800x as well? 

Any other suggestions for upgrades let me know. I am playing just regular (non-intensive) games but want the ability to do so if I were to choose to. 

Thanks all!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@shsabres , welcome to the forum.

The upgrade from the Ryzen 5-1400 to the Ryzen 7-1800x is a major increase.  You are going from a 4 core, 8 threads, processor to an 8 core, 16 threads, processor.  I believe you will be amazed by the increase in system performance.  The best way to tell is, play a game that doesn't run smoothly with the 1400 and try it with the 1800x.  It should run as smooth as silk.  I am not an AMD guy, but I have read that this cooler is very good for the 1800x.  If you have further questions about it, I suggest contacting Notua's Tech Support.  You should definitely measure the space between the cooler and the side panel of the case to assure that it will fit.

The memory that you bought will show in CPU-Z as the standard speed, 2133, 2666, etc.  For it to reach 3000 MHz will require XMP 2.0 in the BIOS.  I am not certain if your BIOS/UEFI will have this option.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.