Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen Desktop 870-244

I want to upgrade my Omen Desktop 870-244 with the a new CPU and a new GPU. I don't know how high my motherboard can be upgraded. What I would like to know is, is it compatible with any 10th gen CPU. I currently have a i7-7700 7th Gen, and what's the best compatible GPU I can upgrade to. Currently I have GTX 1070.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@LuisG1030 , welcome to the Community.

Here are the Product Specifications for your computer.  If you look at the section titled "Processor upgrade information" there is a list of compatible processors.  The only processor that is available for upgrade is the i7-7700K.  The "K" denotes that it can be overclocked.  The motherboard is not compatible with the 10th generation processors.

The video card can be upgraded.  Here is a HP Knowledge Base article that will explain what you have to consider when upgrading the video card.  Your system meets all of the requirements.  However, you will have to determine if the 500W PSU is sufficient to run the new card properly and if it has the necessary (1x6,1x8 or both) PCIe power connectors needed by the new card.  Once you have read the article you will have a much better understanding of how to choose the new card.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@LuisG1030 , welcome to the Community.

Here are the Product Specifications for your computer.  If you look at the section titled "Processor upgrade information" there is a list of compatible processors.  The only processor that is available for upgrade is the i7-7700K.  The "K" denotes that it can be overclocked.  The motherboard is not compatible with the 10th generation processors.

The video card can be upgraded.  Here is a HP Knowledge Base article that will explain what you have to consider when upgrading the video card.  Your system meets all of the requirements.  However, you will have to determine if the 500W PSU is sufficient to run the new card properly and if it has the necessary (1x6,1x8 or both) PCIe power connectors needed by the new card.  Once you have read the article you will have a much better understanding of how to choose the new card.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.