Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Desktop PC - 870-224
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello there, 

I have had an Omen PC for a year or two. I have recently felt the need to upgrade its specs. 

I am wanting to upgrade in two areas:

-Ram

-Graphics Card

I am confident that I can handle upgrading the RAM and finding the correct type I will need. However, I need help with my graphics card.

I want to upgrade to a Nividia RTX 2060. After searching online I have come across some concerns:

Will it fit in the space my case provides? (I believe so)

Do I have enough power supply to withstand it? (I am very unsure)

With it work with my motherboard? (I think, but am not sure)

Just in general will it work well? 

Lastly, I would like to ask, is there anything else I should look into as to better my gaming experience and abilities? 

Thank you for your time!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HEllo @J0sh17 

To answer you specifically, Yes that card will work with your motherboard and the power supply would be sufficient.

You can always measure the inside of the case to make sure it will work with what ever card you choose.

Will it work well? Sure. But its a matter of opinion on whether its really a worth while upgrade for the money, since you already have a GTX 1060.

Next generation upgrades are not worth it to me regarding price to performance.

16GB of ram is the sweet spot for gamers, but if you ran across a used i7 7700 at a good price, I would say that will stay relevant a little longer gaming wise, than your 7400 will.

This summer should produce the next version of hardware like the RTX 3000 series cards. I would think thats money better spent on a card compared to what you have now. But eh, at that point, I would just save my money and build or buy a new system at that time. Its really what ever you decide.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

HEllo @J0sh17 

To answer you specifically, Yes that card will work with your motherboard and the power supply would be sufficient.

You can always measure the inside of the case to make sure it will work with what ever card you choose.

Will it work well? Sure. But its a matter of opinion on whether its really a worth while upgrade for the money, since you already have a GTX 1060.

Next generation upgrades are not worth it to me regarding price to performance.

16GB of ram is the sweet spot for gamers, but if you ran across a used i7 7700 at a good price, I would say that will stay relevant a little longer gaming wise, than your 7400 will.

This summer should produce the next version of hardware like the RTX 3000 series cards. I would think thats money better spent on a card compared to what you have now. But eh, at that point, I would just save my money and build or buy a new system at that time. Its really what ever you decide.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your response!

At this current point in time do you think it would serve me better to upgrade to an i7 processor rather than getting an RTX 2060 graphics card?

HP Recommended

Depends on how you're using the pc and which is the weak point at the moment.

Some games are cpu intensive, others are gpu intensive. I would probably go with the GPU first, but keep and eye out for a 7700. Ask your self though, is the small step up in FPS really worth the money?

Personally I wouldn't upgrade that machine at all, except for the ram. I would wait till the next release of hardware and put that money into a new machine. The 10th gen Intel cpu's and the NVIDIA 3000 series are both supposed to release sometime later this year. I would think your hardware would do just fine as it is till then.

Just my opinion. Hoping to save you wasting money when you discover it didn't help as much as you thought it would. 😒

HP Recommended

I appreciate your feedback! I am going to seriously reconsider upgrading anything but my RAM for the time being!

HP Recommended

Glad I could help. Let us know if you have other questions.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.