Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-00xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I am going to be upgrading a part from my current system, (Specs: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight-Core Processor,  Ram = 16GB Motherboard is 8433 11 with a rx 580) I will be upgrading the rx 580 with a 1080ti, anything I need to look out for? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Two items to verify are:

1. The maximum graphics card length your chassis can accept

2. The minimum 1080 Ti power supply required

Retail 580 cards usually require a 500 watt power supply. But HP modifies some graphics cards to run on lower power requirements.

I don't know the specific HP 690 PC you have. But I am pretty sure HP only offers up to a 400 watt power supply in this chassis. This power supply and your motherboard have proprietary connections. A standard retail power supply will not work in your chassis or connect to your motherboard.

The 1080 Ti requires a 600 watt power supply.

The upgrade does not look promising at this time.

Regards

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Two items to verify are:

1. The maximum graphics card length your chassis can accept

2. The minimum 1080 Ti power supply required

Retail 580 cards usually require a 500 watt power supply. But HP modifies some graphics cards to run on lower power requirements.

I don't know the specific HP 690 PC you have. But I am pretty sure HP only offers up to a 400 watt power supply in this chassis. This power supply and your motherboard have proprietary connections. A standard retail power supply will not work in your chassis or connect to your motherboard.

The 1080 Ti requires a 600 watt power supply.

The upgrade does not look promising at this time.

Regards

HP Recommended

So is the power supply the ONLY thing I need to look out for? and like what parts can I keep and not keep.

HP Recommended

Hi,

All other components such as RAM, CPU, storage devices are okay.

But the power supply is a problem. The HP 400 watt PSU does not have a standard 24 pin ATX motherboard (MB) connector.

And the Nvidia recommended minimum 1080 Ti power supply is 600 watts.

HP does not sell a 600 watt power supply that will work with your motherboard. I don't know of any retail power supplies that have the MB connections you need to power this HP MB.

Regards

HP Recommended

Will I have to get a new motherboard too?

HP Recommended

Hi Heburius89436,

Yes, because the HP MB has proprietary power connections.

The HP MB is also a custom form factor. A standard uATX retail MB may not fit in the 690 chassis.

You would have to replace the chassis and probably buy a new Windows 10 product key.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.