cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
heburius89436
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Solved!

Upgrading soon, need help.

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-00xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I am going to be upgrading a part from my current system, (Specs: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight-Core Processor,  Ram = 16GB Motherboard is 8433 11 with a rx 580) I will be upgrading the rx 580 with a 1080ti, anything I need to look out for? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
7,138 5,653 678 1,455
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Two items to verify are:

1. The maximum graphics card length your chassis can accept

2. The minimum 1080 Ti power supply required

Retail 580 cards usually require a 500 watt power supply. But HP modifies some graphics cards to run on lower power requirements.

I don't know the specific HP 690 PC you have. But I am pretty sure HP only offers up to a 400 watt power supply in this chassis. This power supply and your motherboard have proprietary connections. A standard retail power supply will not work in your chassis or connect to your motherboard.

The 1080 Ti requires a 600 watt power supply.

The upgrade does not look promising at this time.

Regards

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
5 REPLIES 5
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
7,138 5,653 678 1,455
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Two items to verify are:

1. The maximum graphics card length your chassis can accept

2. The minimum 1080 Ti power supply required

Retail 580 cards usually require a 500 watt power supply. But HP modifies some graphics cards to run on lower power requirements.

I don't know the specific HP 690 PC you have. But I am pretty sure HP only offers up to a 400 watt power supply in this chassis. This power supply and your motherboard have proprietary connections. A standard retail power supply will not work in your chassis or connect to your motherboard.

The 1080 Ti requires a 600 watt power supply.

The upgrade does not look promising at this time.

Regards

View solution in original post

heburius89436
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So is the power supply the ONLY thing I need to look out for? and like what parts can I keep and not keep.

Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
7,138 5,653 678 1,455
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

All other components such as RAM, CPU, storage devices are okay.

But the power supply is a problem. The HP 400 watt PSU does not have a standard 24 pin ATX motherboard (MB) connector.

And the Nvidia recommended minimum 1080 Ti power supply is 600 watts.

HP does not sell a 600 watt power supply that will work with your motherboard. I don't know of any retail power supplies that have the MB connections you need to power this HP MB.

Regards

heburius89436
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Will I have to get a new motherboard too?

Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
7,138 5,653 678 1,455
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Heburius89436,

Yes, because the HP MB has proprietary power connections.

The HP MB is also a custom form factor. A standard uATX retail MB may not fit in the 690 chassis.

You would have to replace the chassis and probably buy a new Windows 10 product key.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Regards

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation