Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen GT13-0380t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After benchmarking, running intelligent overclock and applying the settings, Windows keeps crashing. Also, wifi gets severely slowed down for some reason.

After much frustration yesterday with repeated crashes, I managed to reload windows and start my setup again. Everything was great until I re-ran the intelligent overclocking again and stated using the settings. So, I'm pretty sure this is / was my issue.

Putting it back to default and everything is great.

Suggestions?

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Suggestions? Yes, dont run Intelligent Overclocking, its glitchy. If you want to overclock, go Custom and manually set the core multiplier one or two notches at a time until it has issues, then bump it back one until it works steady.

You have to reboot each time to get it to set.

HP Recommended

It appears you are correct about the intelligent OC being buggy. Tried it again and the computer blue screened before I even had a chance to save the profile.

Is overclocking really worth the trouble or necessary with Intel turbo boost?

HP Recommended

Even better suggestion, don't overclock at all, the cooling is not the most capable to keep temps in control. 

HP Recommended

@KC422 wrote:

Is overclocking really worth the trouble or necessary with Intel turbo boost?

Bottom line on that subject is no, not really. Running all cores on higher speed would gain some FPS, but its not anything mind blowing. Its best to avoid unnecessary overheating and unnecessary stress on your system. Turbo boost works fine.

HP Recommended

@hwsense wrote:

Even better suggestion, don't overclock at all, the cooling is not the most capable to keep temps in control. 

I'm not really worried about overclocking it. Not enough to do the research and put in the effort anyway. Have not had any temp issues so far but haven't really pushed the computer at all yet I don't think.

Speaking of "overclocking", I have not had any luck using the XTU tool to fix HP's stupid decision on RAM setup. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

HP Recommended

You're not going to and if it did work, you would probably have issues like a few others have expressed. You would be better off returning it for another system with what you wanted to begin with. But since you purchased a CTO version and you configured it at purchase, you cant return it unless broken from factory (Im pretty sure based on others experiences).

Bottom line, if its a fully customizable enthusiast system you want, you would want a custom do-it-yourself build, not a prebuilt HP.

HP Recommended

I am testing now, newer versions are not working, but I am hoping the older versions would work as before. The other thing is to uninstall all Omen Command Center / Game Hub and install just XTU.

Oh and if you ever decide to return it, for whatever reason, you can always do it, just keep in mind they might charge you a restocking fee. 

HP Recommended

If they return a CTO for a restocking fee, you will be lucky.

HP Recommended

I have returned multiple over the last year, and without restocking fee, it all depends how persuasive you are. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.