Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Obelisk Desktop 875-0005no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello.

I've just bought a new PC, and quickly stumbled upon a problem. When I was busy playing games and listening to music, my screen suddenly turned black, even though I don't think I overloaded my system. The audio was still playing for a while, but then it stopped, and there were no sign of activity. Then, after a few moments, it came back to life for a short period, and then died again. Finaly it started working again.

I already have run the system diagnostics on startup, but it didn't show anything.

Could it just be a random crash, if those are a thing, or should I be even more worried than I already am?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Magnus7431 , welcome to the forum.

The symptoms that you describe sound like you may have a heat problem.  I suggest that you install a system monitor, such as, Speccy,  to check the temperatures of the components.  Let me know what you find and I will help you further.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Magnus7431 , welcome to the forum.

The symptoms that you describe sound like you may have a heat problem.  I suggest that you install a system monitor, such as, Speccy,  to check the temperatures of the components.  Let me know what you find and I will help you further.

HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

A brand new PC should be stable.

I would try to replicate the problem ASAP. But the PC has to be as close as possible to the factory operating system image.

Installing software or updating drivers, or even problematic Windows updates prior to the occurrence of symptoms, may adversely impact a successful diagnosis. 

Continuing crashes when using a pristine HP factory operating system image may suggest a hardware problem.

Run some graphics card and CPU stress test on a clean HP factory install to see what is happening.

You would have to back up data if you choose the last suggestion.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply Old_geekster!

The PC comes with a temperature monitering program, and I think I have a problem with the CPU temp. On idle the lowest temp I've seen was 50°, and the highest when used is probably around 85-90°. 

I am currently finding a new heatsink and fan, but am a bit nervous installing them might interfere with the warrenty, that was included with the computer.

HP Recommended

Hello Grzwacz. 

I've tried to open all the programs, that were running when it happened, but with no results. 

This was without resetting the PC. Is it necessary?

Thanks in advance!

HP Recommended

Hi

You're very welcome.

@old_geekster has nailed the CPU heat issue as the possible cause of the hardware symptom.

You also isolated the CPU heat problem.

Component stress tests would have revealed a heat issue.

Nice work.

Regards

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Magnus7431!  Thank you for the additional information.

You don't have to be nervous about voiding your warranty, as long as, you don't damage any of the components.  Upgrading the computer is not a problem.

Good luck!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.