JRobertshere
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Video Card Upgrade

envy 700-215 xt
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I'm looking to upgrade my 700-215xt with a new video card for some newer games.  I would like suggestions.  Where i'm at currently is that i bought a gtx1060 EVGA and found i need a better power supply and different power connections.  

So right now i guess the question is: 

1. Upgrade the 300W pSU to something more to the 400W that the 1060 uses?  Then is the MB going to handle the extra power or will it just shorten lifespan?

2. Go to a lower performance graphics card, i read here on the boards that a GTX1050 would run but haven't tried it.  Plus i would like something with more than 2 GB of memory on the card?  And does the 1050 have the right connections as the plugs for the current PSU are not the normal ones.

3. Listen to other geniuses that know more about it than I.  (This is what i'm trying here.)

Any help would be appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
Level 15
Level 15
11,083 10,894 1,122 3,234
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Video Card Upgrade

Hello @JRobertshere

So the big question here is will the motherboard be ok if you install a higher wattage PSU, correct?

It will be fine. A load (your motherboard) will only draw what it needs (amps) for power.

If you already have the GTX 1060, then then its up to you. I would probably look for a 500w psu as the price difference from a 400w will most likely be about the same if you find one. Just dont buy the cheapest POS PSU out there.  😉

If you decide to switch to a 1050ti, they have 4GB models.

0 Kudos
JRobertshere
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Video Card Upgrade

Appreciate the help.  I'm not really worried about cost, so i'll go with the higher W PSU.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation