Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tastac
3 2 0 1
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Watercooling not cooling CPU down and fans are getting louder (2nd pc, first one had same problem)

Omen X 900
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I got an Omen X from the Make A Wish foundation and it was great untill the radiator fan started getting really loud so we contacted Make a wish and got another one from HP and that has worked great up until now... Recently it has been getting loud again and when checking the tempatures for everything the CPU cores are sitting at 100 and only running at 1.44ghz. I have had the same problem twice and i have not touched anything on the inside of the case i have cleaned it once in a while but i did not change components nor take anything out. would love for HP to fix this other wise, never coming back to HP again. i bought a laptop from them a while back.. corrupted the hdd in a month. fix your issues HP.

Specs that I know:
GPU: RX480 4GB
CPU: I7 7700k
Ram: 8gb
SSD: 256GB
HDD: 2TB plus some other random drives from old computers

9 REPLIES 9
Level 12
Level 12
5,718 5,706 542 1,197
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Watercooling not cooling CPU down and fans are getting louder (2nd pc, first one had same problem)

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not an HP employee.

Contact HP Support (link)if you are in warranty.

CPU temps should not hit 100 degrees Celsius even under heavy load.

The AIO liquid cooling system may not be efficiently moving heat away the processor.

Two possible causes are:

The AIO pump attached to the processor is malfunctioning,

TIM has not been correctly applied to the processor heat spreader.

One other possible cause could be an embedded MB thermistor (below the CPU socket) or the CPU thermistor is reading CPU temps incorrectly.

Try running Prime95, stress tests only, (link) with HWmonitor (link). Check temps and CPU throttling to verify CPU thermals.

Regards

0 Kudos
engr146
Level 2
17 14 0 3
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How did you install other random drives from other PCs if u never touched or changed anything in the case? Just wondering,

Engineer146
0 Kudos
Tastac
3 2 0 1
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

On the Omen X 900 there are slots on the outside that just pop out so you can slide a drive in, you dont need to open the case or connect wires.

@engr146

0 Kudos
Tastac
3 2 0 1
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your quick and kind response!

I downloaded both programs and ran them for a bit i closed the Prime95 without thinking but the results.txt said 12K passed 4 times, not sure what any of this means

Capture.PNG

Thanks for the help so far!

Level 12
Level 12
5,718 5,706 542 1,197
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Tastac,

You're very welcome.

You have a fan speed problem.

It takes a while for posted images to be readable. Can't see the images at this time.

Give me HWMonitor CPU temps and if this software reports any CPU throttling.

An image would be good to see. I apologize if you have sent this image.

We will have to wait until the forum clears the image.

Regards

0 Kudos
Level 12
Level 12
5,718 5,706 542 1,197
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Tastac,

Additional thoughts:

This problem is either: True (high CPU thermals), or False (faulty temp readings).

Solutions:

True:

The current AIO solution is the cause. Replace/repair the CPU cooling solution.

False:

The MB is faulty. Replace the MB.

Regards

0 Kudos
Level 12
Level 12
5,718 5,706 542 1,197
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Tastac,

I can't view the image.

Tell me  what you see.

Run Prime95 for about 30 minutes or more. Open HWMonitor while you run Prime95 so you can monitor temps on the fly.

Look, your PC did not bluescreen or reboot.

Give me all CPU core temps. Any CPU throttling?

Regards

0 Kudos
engr146
Level 2
17 14 0 3
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That's rite! Nice Omen ! I was wondering if they were external drives. I have a standard Omen type case.I didn' t think of that! Best of luck resolving issue.Thank you Tommy

Engineer146
Level 12
Level 12
5,718 5,706 542 1,197
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Tastac,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

I have checked the image.

You have a heat problem or thermals are incorrect. All four cores are maxing at 100 degrees C when running Prime95. This means the CPU is throttling if the temps are correct. You can boil water for a cup of tea with those temps!

You really should replace the cooling system or, at minimum, reapply TIM on the CPU. Check temps again.

Touch the chassis side panel where the CPU is located when running Prime95. Is this area warm or hot?

Can you feel hot air being expelled by system fans or the CPU rad/fan?

Regards

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation