Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MagickGuy
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Weird vibrating cricket / power lines noise coming from fan?

HP Omen 870-224
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I have recently purchased an OMEN HP Desktop 870-224 computer June/ July 2017.

On back of the computer, there are two fans, One on top (is that where the graphics card is?) , and then one at the bottom.

The sound seems to be coming from the top fan area. Im not sure if its the fan or somethign else.
There is this annoying buzzing sound like a vibrating cricket, or power lines.
The noise doesnt vary that much, its a constant vibrating electric pulsing sound.

This is even when the computer is idle, if im not doing anything on the computer.

I don't remember this sound there on the first day or so of geting the computer.... but now its very bothersome.

I dont mind when the fan or the cpu heats up and the computer "roars" sometimes..(to me that sounds like waves/wind)
i find that sound more soothing,
BUt this sound that im talking about, seems more high pitched and annoying.
It does not sound like "coil whine"...
this sound is more stable monotone.

Even when the fan or computer "roars" , the annoying cricket sound is still there.
On some occasions when the computer gets hot enough or "roaring", i think the cricket disappears.
Otherwise, the cricket noise is always there.

I tried resetting my computer under the control panal and started over..its still the same.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,068 21,032 1,384 2,219
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @MagickGuy,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community! I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I see from the post that you are getting noise from the computer. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

After reviewing your post, I did check and found that there are 2 fans inside the computer - The top fan is the SMPS Power supply fan and the 2nd one is the CPU fan. 

Since you mentioned that the noise is coming from the top fan, I would like to check does the PC shuts down due to overheat.

I would suggest please update the BIOS on your PC from our HP support website, using this link.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

For more assistance, please follow this link: HP Notebook PCs - Fan is Noisy and Spins Constantly, PC is Warmer than Normal

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts,

mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
MagickGuy
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@jeet_singh

Hello thanks for your reply

I already have the HP support Assitant, i think it came installed in my computer. it is fully updated. ( the only thing it wont update is the HP Sure Connect. it keeps saying failed installation each time)

i havent used my computer that much where it is overheating or anything. Hmm, no, i never experienced the computer shutting down from overheating.

(the only time i think it heated up is when i chose to reset  the computer from control panel and wipe everything for a fresh start to see if the noise would go away)

I have been doing regular websurfing on it, not even playing games (even though this is a gaming desktop).

Sometimes the vibrating cricket sound is there when i powerup the computer..on rare occasions the vibrating sound not at power up.. but then if goes on sleep mode, when i get out of the sleep mode, the sound comes back

I will try to download the bios..but

i followed the link to download the bios, but there are listed 4 things, am i supposed to download it all?

bios.png

am i supposed to download them all? or just one?

Thanks

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,068 21,032 1,384 2,219
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @MagickGuy,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand you are in the process of performing a Bios update and you are stuck with 4 options. I would suggest you go ahead and install the latest version, please find the details and the link below:

Version:   F.11 Rev.A 

Release date:   Jun 14, 2017

File name:  http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp80501-81000/sp80767.exe

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes for further assistance. 

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
MagickGuy
4 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

At that time i looked up the BIOS download list, the website gave this information:

original.png

As you can see in the picture
Because the 4th listed BIOS (SSID 830C) was dated (incorrectly?) as March 24th 2017, 
You told me to download the 3rd listed BIOS  (SSID 82F1) as it is labeled with one with most current date June 14 2017

Before downloading anything,
i checked MSINFO32.exe and saw my BIOS version date 6/7/2017
So I went ahead and downloaded the 3rd listed BIOS (SSID 82F1),
but it didnt help the fan problem i was having.

And then i rechecked MSINFO32.exe, and even though the BIOS downloaded successfully, my BIOS version date still said 6/7/2017.
I dont know why.

Now that few days has passed
i rechecked the BIOS download list,

and realize HP  website fixed their errors? 
Because the 4th listed BIOS (SSID 830C). It is now labeled with a date of June 14th 2017.

Here is the picture of what i mean:

afterrrr.png

My question is can i now go ahead and download the 4th listed BIOS (SSID 830C)?
Will this cause any problems since I already downloaded the 3rd listed BIOS (SSID 82F1)?

Thanks so much

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation