Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Obelisk Desktop 875-0030qd CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm looking to upgrade my son's Obelisk...he is running a Oculus and he thinks he needs an upgraded video card.  What are my best choices?

Thanks,

Ralph

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @GoofyRalph 

Ill try to help as best I can.

Your PC is a CTO version which means you configure or chose the parts at the time of ordering. So there are no specs to look.

Can you tell me what the CPU, video card and power supply wattage it has now?

What reason does your son think he needs to upgrade the video card for? Is the Oculus having issues currently?

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response!

He has an i-5-8400 @ 2.80 GHz with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 video card and a 300 W power supply.

He says the Oculus is pretty low quality and glitchy in most environments.  He's expecting smoother playback.

Thanks,

Ralph

HP Recommended

Ah, OK. If you look up the Oculus min requirements, he would need at least a gtx 970. Since those are really no longer available, you would need at least a gtx 1060 which is still available, but the new RTX 2000 series are out now too. I would look at an RTX 2060 also.

HP Recommended

I need to also mention, when you upgrade the video card, you will have to upgrade the power supply also. You will need a 500w minimum ATX PSU.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.