Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN OBELISK DESKTOP PC - 875-1040ST, 6FH15AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Computer: Omen Obelisk OMEN OBELISK DESKTOP PC - 875-1040ST 

Model #: 6FH15AV 

Reference Image: https://ibb.co/PWGfzLj

Hey Guys, 

Question. What is the SSD2 cover for beneath the processor? My current set up is One SSD as my main (500GB) and one HDD (3TB). Assuming it's a slot for another SSD, can it be used with my current set up? 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello @Coffee2222 

Your model is a CTO version, so there are no specs to look up. I assume you have a 9700k with the Shire motherboard.

Yes, that motherboard has 2-M.2  M keyed slots. Your photo needed to have been shot at a more straight forward angle so we could see the first card slot better. I assume it has your 500GB drive in that spot. So the second slot (with the cover) would be available for another drive for data storage or installing games to.

Note:  According to the motherboard specs, one slot is set up as PCIe X4, so I assume that is where the OS drive is installed.

Im assuming the other M.2 slot would apparently be configured as Gen3x2, so I wouldn't spend a lot of money on full speed 3x4 NVMe drive.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-875-1000-obelisk-desktop-pc-series/25644598/document...

HP Recommended

Why wouldn't the 2nd M.2 slot also be PCIe 3x4 on the Shire Motherboard? It's labeled SSD2 on the black cover and on the motherboard.

If RAID-0 is selected as an option when configuring-to-order (CTO) the OMEN Obelisk Desktop PC-875-1040st, then the secondary storage will be another SSD as long as it is equal in size to the primary SSD.  Two M.2 slots for two SSD drives of equal size.

The big question is if one doesn't select RAID-0 as an option and also selects a primary SSD drive - can a second SSD of any size be installed in the second M.2 slot as an upgrade later and assigned a different drive letter than the primary SSD?  The CTO doesn't have the option to have a primary and secondary SSD without RAID-0.

HP Recommended

I have the same black cover over my M.2 SSD2 slot on my HP Omen Obelisk 875-1055xt.  When I remove the cover, there is a piece of rubber taped to the Shire motherboard that would prevent a SSD drive from being inserted into the slot.

shire ssd2.jpg

HP Recommended
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Like SSD1, the SSD2 slot on the Shire 8509 Micro ATX Motherboard is a NVMe PCIe Gen 3x4 M.2 2280 port that can run 8.0 GT/s.

I have a 1TB Corsair MP510 installed in SSD2.  I took a screenshot of the motherboard bus associated with SSD2.Screenshot (11).png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.