Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

THANK YOU 
This thread has been SOOOO helpful!
Thank you all!

HP Recommended

Ok, I got a 120mm exhaust fan installed at the top of my HP Omen Obelisk 875 series today.  I plugged it into the LC Pump connection on the motherboard.  It runs fast but quiet.  The fan is an Aero cooled dual-layered fan (the dead silence 12cm blue).  Once I was up and running and started gaming I noticed my GPU and CPU temps shot up way higher than before I installed the fan.  I did make sure to position the fan blades properly with the open blades down toward the inside of the case and the grill facing up toward outside of the case so that it would push airflow up (I used this site showing the diagram as my guide https://www.howtogeek.com/303078/how-to-manage-your-pcs-fans-for-optimal-airflow-and-cooling/ ).  But the fan is blowing really fast and when I take the side panel off just to feel the air it feels like the air is pushing into the case downward.  When I place my hand outside the case at the top above the vented area feels like there is good air pushing out too.  Is this fan speed to fast?  Is there a way to control the fan speed using the LC pump connection?  If not, should I just unplug the fan at this point and try something different?

HP Recommended

I am not sure on why the fan would be raising your temps. Is the computer case setup for good airflow? It should have adequate space around it and preferably not be on carpet. If it’s on carpet you might put something under it to help the air flow better, as the air flows from the bottom up through the top. 

What temps is the NVIDIA running at? Which NVIDIA is in yours? Depending on which one you have, 90-95* Celsius is the highest it should be allowed to get. If it’s running below that I wouldn’t worry about it. I have the GTX 1060 and it stays around 80-81*C. Try running a Unigine graphics tester. I like the Superposition Benchmark. It will track the temps while running graphics to give you an idea of what you’re running at. 

HP Recommended

I found this on a site about NVIDIA graphics cards:

"Graphics card temperatures typically range from 30°C to 40°C at idle and from 60°C to 85°C under load. Most high end video cards typically have a maximum temperature between 95°C-105°C, at which point the system will shut off to prevent damage."

HP Recommended

Thanks.  Yea I was playing wow classic for about 15-20 minutes and the temperatures shot up to 71 degrees Celsius (160 Fahrenheit).  The CPU was 47 to 50 degrees Celsius.  Thanks for the info.  But good lord that seems really hot.

HP Recommended

Oh ok. 71* C is not bad at all.

You are good to go!

HP Recommended

Can I ask which header on the  the motherboard did you plug the new fan into?  The only unused one I see is for a (loquid) cooler? Use that one?

HP Recommended

Yes, it is the one labeled LCM just under where the fan mounts. I doubted it when I first installed the fan thinking the same thoughts you are having but found it is the only option.

One thing you will notice is that the fan runs full speed all the time; it does not adjust speed or turn off based on temperature. After some research, I found this cannot be changed regardless of where you plug the fan into the desktop. But it is not a problem. The fans are built to last 60,000+ hours so you don't need to worry about it wearing out prematurely.

It is not possible to over-cool the computer, only overheat it, so it is not a bad thing.

HP Recommended

For the fan you have "sitting at the bottom" are you using it as an (exhaust) blowing out or a (cooling) blowing in?

HP Recommended

I’m not sure what you’re referring to about a fan on the bottom. I installed the fan on the top of the inside of the desktop. Maybe you mean at the bottom of the top of the case?

Anyhow, the fan on the roof should be set to blow air out. The air is taken in by the computer from the bottom and blown out the top of the case

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.