Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Okay i know where to install it, but where were you able to plug it in? did you use the 4-pin LC pump connector above the CPU or did you unplug the rear case fan. I want to do this myself because i'm getting a 2-fan GPU instead of my current 1-fan and am concerned about airflow. 

HP Recommended

You are correct. It is the 4 plug under the ceiling in the case. Just below the roof fan you installed. There’s a pic of it on page 1 of this thread if needed

HP Recommended

I don't believe you can, I was wondering the same thing until i searched you tube, the best thing to do is to prop it up safely an inch or so to get better air flow to the lower extremists

HP Recommended

Not sure why it turned sideways, but with a splitter, I was able to install a top and bottom 120mm. I run cool on pretty much every game I play, even on Ultra. Ask Deathstroke, he's lived in there for months without any problems.

1.jpg

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for this post.  I've had this computer for just over a month and worry a lot about the amount of heat it generates.  I did raise it off of the floor, which has helped a little.  But playing games often runs temps in the high 70's to low 80's on both the CPU and the graphics card.  Actually, the CPU often runs higher temps than the graphics card.  If temps are running this high now, I can't imagine how high they'll be in summer when the air will be much warmer.  It's made me wonder about the thermal paste on the CPU.    The power supply seems too small for the graphics card as well.  I'm really disappointed because it means that I will have to upgrade a brand new system just to make it right.  I plan on buying a new power supply, so I guess the only question is how best to cool it.  A fan at the top and/or the bottom, a fan just at the bottom, a fan in the front (making my own opening for air like I saw someone else do), or install liquid cooling (which looks difficult)?  

HP Recommended

Hi there. I’m not familiar with cutting to add a fan or the liquid cooling variety. However, I know you can add a water cooled fan because that is what the power lcd plug in the desktop in primarily designed for. 

I understand your concern about the heat but I will tell you my opinion after going through the same concern. I was very worried about the heat on the Omen for awhile. 

Before you go through the hassle of installing a liquid fan (unless they are easy to install), I recommend trying it out for awhile longer and monitoring the heat. 70s - low 80s is not bad at all. The graphics card (and I presume the cpu as well) are ok running up 90* C. I would not worry about the occasional 90* occurrences but would add a liquid fan if it consistently runs over 85* C

It may break 85-90 here and there when you are maxing out the graphics but I wouldn’t worry about it unless it consistently stays over 85

HP Recommended

Which splitter and fans did you end up going with? 

HP Recommended

https://www.coolerguys.com/products/3-pin-y-splitter-all-black-ribbon?_pos=9&_sid=c4753cdce&_ss=r

That's the splitter, I used. You can use any 120MM fans you'd like though as long as you match the pins with the splitter you choose.

HP Recommended

Thanks Deathstroke.  I haven't had the chance to do anything beyond getting the computer off of the floor.  Even though I have laminate floors, just raising it up a few inches so that air can flow better underneath has helped a little.  I am still planning on adding a fan or two.  I just need time to do it.  Ty for sharing the splitter info.  Will let you know when I've got it done.

HP Recommended

I'm not sure what happened to my earlier reply.  I guess I have to rewrite a reply without any negative comments.   I did get the fan installed at the top.  It brings the temps down a few degrees.   Megaman, I used the splitter that Deathstroke linked, and the Cougar Vortex fan at Coolerguys.  Very quiet, but it doesn't seem to put out as much as I thought it would.  That may be due to the fact that I can't change fan speed in the bios.  I will probably add another fan at the bottom at some point.  
Mesiahh, I appreciate your thoughts concerning heat.  You may be well be correct in your assessment, but heat has always been a concern for me.  And with summer coming, room temp will be around 10 degrees hotter than it is right now.  I have been having some video issues. Not pixilation exactly, but more like blotchiness with weird colors. I think it's the heat since it happens when temps are higher, but maybe it's the psu since Nvidia recommends at least 650 W for the 2070 video card.  I plan on changing my 500 PSU to 750, if I can find a good one that fits. 

Thanks for your input Deathstroke and Mesiahh.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.