Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I just bought the Omen that included the 16GB RAM, RTX 2080, and the i7-8700.  Like you I'm concerned about the heat coming from the processor and i'd like to try and mitigate that with an extra fan.  Did you have to add any extra components such a larger PSU?

HP Recommended

Hi Dan,

No, I didn't add anything aside from the 120 fan

Rob

HP Recommended

As I'm looking at the device, I'm hoping that I wont have to remove the plate that the motherboard is attached to in order to trace all the power cables.  I'm looking for an extra 4pin periph molex to install the fan but i'm having a hard time finding any available cables unless they are hidden away behind that wall.

I've never really installed an additional fan, but this is more of an experiment for fun.

What type of connection did you use on your fan?

HP Recommended

I was able to use the 4pin LC_Pump port on the motherboard with my fans 3pin to mount the fan on the top.  I believe all I am losing is the PMW ability.   Also, i have read that i may need to go into the BIOS to change the voltage on the port in order for it to not use 12 volts and instead go with maybe a lower amount.  Does that matter?

HP Recommended

Hello @DanHalen 

I believe it will just run at 12v all the time. Its not going to matter in the sense that you cant change the port voltage on an HP bios. HP bios are very locked down and don't allow for very much customizing like a name brand enthusiast motherboard does.

In the bios power settings, I think it only gives the current fan speed, but does not allow for adjusting.

HP Recommended

@DanHalen  I was curious since a good month has went by, how did your system do after adding the fan? Did your temps drop and by how much?

HP Recommended

Well after installing a fan into the LC_pump port, i have seen a decrease in the overall temperature by a few degrees.  I did however combine this with putting the computer on risers to help increase the amount of air that could be pulled in.  
All things considered, Its a great machine but with how much work a user needs to do straight out of the box to feel comfortable running a program that may tax the system and in turn increase the heat in the tower, I think the design feels a little rushed.

HP Recommended

@DanHalen  Thanks for the input.  👍

HP Recommended

Thanks for all the info.its really helped. Where is the rbg hub. I hooked up the connection for the LC pump but where do I hook up the other wire that goes to the rbg hub?

HP Recommended

Hey Juan,

So for my experience, it seems that with the LC Pump, it only allows you to power the device but does not offer the ability to control the lights.  Its essentially a port that is either on or off but doesn't carry any more ability than that.  Your fan will be running at its max setting the entire time the computer is in use.   

If you are looking for a way to control the RGB on the fan, i'm not sure thats going to be possible in this instance.  However, if you do figure out a way, please update us.

EDIT:  So looking back in my posts, i used a 3 pin to plug into the port with 4 pins.  The 4th pin may be your key to solving the puzzle.  If I remember correctly though, I think the 4th pin was supposed to control fan speed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.