Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Desktop PC - 880-100ne
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone,

2 years ago I bought an Omen Desktop 880-100ne that included an NVME SSD with 256GB capacity and is effectively my boot drive.

I'm currently interested in cloning that original SSD that came with my Omen to a new Samsung Envo Plus PCIex NVME (1TB) and making that my boot disk. 

I have no interest in keeping the 256GB so its a complete replacement.

I'm a little hesitant in buying that Samsung SSD as I'm  worried that their are restrictions and I can't clone my disk or simply replace the original SSD/BOOT . 

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you All!

Stay Safe!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HI,

You're very welcome.

There is a learning curve if you have never used this type of software.

I can image a NVME SSD containing the operating system, program installations, and some data, which is a disk image, using Macrium Reflect free in under five minutes. I have about 80 GB of stuff on the drive. I keep most data on a second SATA SSD.

An image recovery using the USB recovery stick takes about three minutes.

You need the USB recovery stick. This can be created on the main window after installing the software. Select Other Tasks. Select create Rescue Media, follow the prompts.

It is also wise to verify the image when doing an external backup. Select advanced options in the disk image creation screen when imaging a disk. Select Auto Verify Image. Check the box on the right and click okay.

Verify the rescue stick works by booting to this media after creation. This stick is vital if you cannot start Windows using other baked in Windows recovery options. Macrium will run from the rescue stick. So you can also create images on external media, restore images, and clone images. 

It is pretty nifty software and it is free.

Regards

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

You have a high end HP gaming PC. The motherboard has a Key M socket 3, M.2 socket.

The Samsung one TB EVO Plus should work fine.

Check the seller's return policy before you buy the Samsung drive.

There should be no restrictions when imaging or cloning the operating system from the existing SSD to the new SSD.

Samsung provides disk migrating software (Link). I have had some issues with this software so I now use Macrium free (Link) to image and clone disk images to new drives.

Click the support tab at the Macrium site for guidance on image creation and recovery and the cloning operation. Look at the knowledge base and the forums

The following sites have pretty good info on creating and restoring images (Link) and cloning (Link).

Be sure to create a Macrium USB recovery stick so you can access and move an external image to a different drive.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank you. I ordered it But I dont understand your concern. Is it that the drive will not fit into the mother board?

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome.

The Samsung drive is a 2280 drive. It's size 22mm by 80mm.

This is the most common size. Your motherboard supports 2280 NVME drives

Regards

HP Recommended

Ill be receiving the EVO Pro by 6th October so If it works I can upvote this so the community knows that the solution works.

Thank you for letting me know about the imaging software.

HP Recommended

HI,

You're very welcome.

There is a learning curve if you have never used this type of software.

I can image a NVME SSD containing the operating system, program installations, and some data, which is a disk image, using Macrium Reflect free in under five minutes. I have about 80 GB of stuff on the drive. I keep most data on a second SATA SSD.

An image recovery using the USB recovery stick takes about three minutes.

You need the USB recovery stick. This can be created on the main window after installing the software. Select Other Tasks. Select create Rescue Media, follow the prompts.

It is also wise to verify the image when doing an external backup. Select advanced options in the disk image creation screen when imaging a disk. Select Auto Verify Image. Check the box on the right and click okay.

Verify the rescue stick works by booting to this media after creation. This stick is vital if you cannot start Windows using other baked in Windows recovery options. Macrium will run from the rescue stick. So you can also create images on external media, restore images, and clone images. 

It is pretty nifty software and it is free.

Regards

HP Recommended

It worked like a charm. I was able to use the Samsung Migration Tools.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Sounds good.

Enjoy your new and very fast SSD.

Regards

HP Recommended

God to know.

I came to forum to get advice on the very same item; Moving from 256 GB MZVLW256HEHP to 1 TB MZV7S cloning boot disk, data. programs and everything.

Glad went well for you.

I only have 44 GB free on existing

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.