Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion 500-242
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

I am really wanting a new graphics card, the one i am currently using is quite slow. 

I was wanting to get the GTX 1050 Ti (https://goo.gl/5K4SPN).

Will this graphics card fit in my PC and be compatible? 

I have a HP Pavillion 500-242 : https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c04058519.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was also wondering if the GTX 1050 is the best choice? Will my AMD A8-5500 bottleneck it? Would the GTX 750 Ti be a better pair?

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Mawdud wrote:
 I have an AMD A8-5500 processor and was wondering if getting a GTX 1050, the processor would bottleneck/limit its performance. Would getting a GTX 750 TI be a better match for this processor?

Ya the 1050 will probably bottleneck some, but so what? It will still out perform the 750 and also cost less.

For example, at the moment of this writing, Newegg has the zotac 1050 for $126.00

The 750ti is over $200.

You tell me which is the better deal... :Wink:

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Mawdud, welcome to the forum.

According to the specs the card is 5.7 H x 11.2 L x 1.3 W in.  I suggest measuring the space where the card will be installed from the Back I/O ports to the front of the case.  If it is longer that 11.2 in and there are no other components in the way, it should work.  Also, you should check the manufacturer's website to see how much wattage is needed to run the card properly.  The power supply unit (PSU) in the computer is only 300W.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Hi!

Thank you for your reply.

Yes i have already checked the manufacturers website, and the recommended power supply is 300 W as the power consumption is only 75W. 

I checked the manufacturers website to check the dimensions of card since 11.2 in sounded too big. (https://goo.gl/tHcp16) The actual dimensions of the card is 144.78mm x 111.15mm. So yes it will fit.

I do have one more question though. I have an AMD A8-5500 processor and was wondering if getting a GTX 1050, the processor would bottleneck/limit its performance. Would getting a GTX 750 TI be a better match for this processor? 

Thanks

HP Recommended

@Mawdud wrote:
 I have an AMD A8-5500 processor and was wondering if getting a GTX 1050, the processor would bottleneck/limit its performance. Would getting a GTX 750 TI be a better match for this processor?

Ya the 1050 will probably bottleneck some, but so what? It will still out perform the 750 and also cost less.

For example, at the moment of this writing, Newegg has the zotac 1050 for $126.00

The 750ti is over $200.

You tell me which is the better deal... :Wink:

HP Recommended

Haha!

When you put it like that, there is obviously a clear pick! :OpenSmile:

I am definitely going to go ahead and get the GTX 1050 Ti, over the 750 Ti. 

Thank you for the reassurance! 

HP Recommended

Weigh the difference in price between the 1050 and 1050ti.

Amazon has the 1050 significantly cheaper than the ti. Considering the low performing AMD 5500, it may be a better bang for buck choice.

HP Recommended

Do you think there would be a massive fps change between getting the TI and the normal one?Or do you think it would be too small to be worth the extra cash?

HP Recommended

Know that without actually having an A8 5500 in my hand to benchmark a 1050ti and such, Im having to go by others and their experiences.

That CPU will bottleneck the ti, although I have no way of knowing how much. So considering that, and the price difference of approx $80 average between cards (at the moment), I would go with the 1050.

Use the savings towards an 8 GB stick of ram since I assume you only have 6GB (1x4 + 1x2). You will see a difference.

I just wish memory prices werent so insane right now. The Crucial memory finder is a good way to find what will work.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP---Compaq/pavilion-500-242ea

You can also run a tool like Speccy to get the exact timings of the existing ram, so you can match it if you do replace it.

Now - with that said...

The point is, I wouldnt dump too much into that system! To me, its not worth it.

A 5500 wasnt that good of a cpu for gaming and also consider its almost 6 years old.

IF you can afford it, scrap the idea and put that money towards a new setup. 

If you stick with AMD, a Ryzen 1600 system will blow that A8 out of the water (so to speak), and be able to keep up with future games more so than this will.

Just my humble opinion.

HP Recommended

You have certainly given me a lot to think about, whether buying a new graphics card and some new RAM is the best thing to do. 

I am definitely going to consider the other options available, and see if it can get enough money together to get a new PC entirely.  

I was just wondering, however, could I simply just buy a new CPU and replace my A8-5500? It would save me from having to buy a new PC?

You have really helped me clear some stuff out and made me think whether my plan was the best, to begin with :Surprise:

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Let us know if you need advice on that new rig before you buy.

Thats what we're here for.

🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.