Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Power 580-009no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello there ive been looking to upgrade and now have the opportunity to do that. My current pc is the  HP Pavilion Power 580-009no with has a gtx 1050 Odense 2k Motherboard and a 180watt psu. Ive been looking to upgrade to a rtx 2060 and that requires a new psu. So ive been looking at the Thermaltake Smart RGB 500w and form my bad knowledge will work with my pc. My motherboard needs 24 pin with it comes with and my cpu needs 4 pin the psu has a 8 pin but can be made into a 4 pin if im correct.  there  is the cables from the psu. Does that work with my pc? oh and the gpu needs 8 pin.

Thank you on forehand

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @maltetc12345 

Your Pavilion Power 580-009no  uses an HP uATX form factor PSU which is basically a Micro ATX format.

The Thermaltake you speak of is full ATX according to Thermaltakes specs. So it wont physically fit unless that case is actually wide enough and the factory PSU is screwed in with an adapter plate. I don't have one of those cases to measure with, so you will have to measure it yourself and see what you come up with. Some of those Pavilions were wide enough and used adapter plates, some didn't. I cant remember which ones did.

Here is an example of full ATX measurements. Compare them to the case to see if it will fit, or if its actually too big for the case. https://landing.coolermaster.com/faq/what-are-the-mounting-hole-dimensions-for-my-atx-power-supply/

That Thermaltake uses a split 4+4 pin, so it will fit the CPU plug. Its keyed so you cannot mount it wrong.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello @maltetc12345 

Your Pavilion Power 580-009no  uses an HP uATX form factor PSU which is basically a Micro ATX format.

The Thermaltake you speak of is full ATX according to Thermaltakes specs. So it wont physically fit unless that case is actually wide enough and the factory PSU is screwed in with an adapter plate. I don't have one of those cases to measure with, so you will have to measure it yourself and see what you come up with. Some of those Pavilions were wide enough and used adapter plates, some didn't. I cant remember which ones did.

Here is an example of full ATX measurements. Compare them to the case to see if it will fit, or if its actually too big for the case. https://landing.coolermaster.com/faq/what-are-the-mounting-hole-dimensions-for-my-atx-power-supply/

That Thermaltake uses a split 4+4 pin, so it will fit the CPU plug. Its keyed so you cannot mount it wrong.

HP Recommended

Okay i see. But if i would buy a full atx case would my motherboard still fit in it? Thanks a lot for the quick response 

HP Recommended

I have not had one in my hand to try. The standoffs would fit if the case has them for mATX. The IO shield I'm not sure about, it should be able to be moved also.

Heres a template someone made on the interwebs for mATX so I put it over your motherboard to show the standoffs.

Standoffs for HP Odense2-k motherboard.jpg

The case wiring might be an issue. You will have to go over the wiring carefully on that Odense2-K and make sure you can fit a standard cases wiring to it. HP makes things a little difficult as they don't intend for consumers to be taking them apart and customizing them.

HP Recommended

Over time, you might consider pairing that RTX 2060 with a more suitable CPU. That 4 core 4 thread will work with it but will run into a bottleneck depending on what games you play and what settings. So basically you wont get your full moneys worth out of that graphics card as the CPU wont be able to keep up.  Just so you know.

HP Recommended

Yeah and that’s the thing but I think I’m gonna upgrade the cpu later since the bottleneck and stuff. But I wondered if you could bold the psu to the side of the case? The thing is I’d I buy a new case I have to move everything and hope that there isn’t anything that won’t work for esample  The I’m shield 

HP Recommended

Yep you could do that. Its not ideal and you will have to leave the side panel off.

HP Recommended

Might do that since it would be a lot to move the whole pc to a new case. But thanks a lot and a again for the help!😁

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.